Corydoras paleatus Spawned

Panzerwels

Apr 19, 2011
Ontario. Canada
Hi All.

You may have seen that I mentioned in another thread that my C.Sterbai had spawned for the first time, well now the Corydoras paleatus have spawned all over the place in my daughters guppy tank! .

The eggs are all over the front and side glass, also on the gravel and plastic plants, looks like there are 50 or 60 of them, I have two females and one male in the tank, so think that both females spawned at the same time to have this many eggs?.
I have looked at them close up and the all appear to have a black dot in them, so I assume they must be fertile?.

Want to try to save them if I can, will it be ok to move them to the same tank as the Sterbai eggs are in, although I don't really like swapping stuff from one tank to another because of the risks of spreading nasty stuff around :( .

I am going to try to get another breeding net later today, so I can try to hatch both species separately, do you think it will be ok to throw all the fry in together if I get another tank going.

If any of you have reared the C. paleatus before and can share a few tips with me it would be great :thumbup:, if not I will just try to rear them the same as the Sterbai.

Photo showing eggs on side glass and plastic plant.

Close up of a few of the eggs on the front glass, can't see the black dots in the photo though :( !

Cheer’s…Graham…

BTW: Got say that I m really surprised that my daughter’s guppies are not trying to eat the eggs, they don’t even seem interested in them?.

Last edited:

Panzerwels

Apr 19, 2011
Ontario. Canada
Just an update.

Well it looks like very few of the C. Paleatus eggs were fertile (only about 20) so after a couple of days, I took the white and few moldy ones out of the breeding net.
Not sure what happened to the darker looking eggs, but they must have hatched in the night and managed to get through the net into the main tank and were eaten by the other fish, pitty that I did not know how small the fry would be, and figured the breeding net would hold them :wb: will have to get some ice cream cartons for the next time!.

BTW: Looks like none of my Sterbai eggs where fertile either, but it may have been because the male/female ratio was not good, I can see for sure which fish were laying the eggs, and it looks like I have 4 females and 2 males, did notice that they were making the "T" position and hope I would have a few fry from them, guess I will have to look for a couple more males over the next few weeks.

Not all bad news though, as at least I have found out I have males and females of both species, and I know which are which now :clap:, but this was the first time they have spawned (I got them all as babies from the LFS), so hopefully next time the results will be a bit better :thumbup: .

Cheer's...Graham...