Corydoras sterbai spawned

Davidefc

Feb 19, 2010
Liverpool
A first for me, I pciked up a group of 4 big chunky adult sterbai for cheap, finally gave them their own tank and within 2 days they've spawned! I have removed the eggs to a breeding tub, hopefully I will get a few fry, I'd be happy with 1 fry out of the 25 ish eggs.

Whats the best food to feed after they have used the egg sack? I have hikari first bites, liquidfry, frozen baby brine and can get microworm.

Dave

JackGillett

Jan 10, 2010
Oxford
Hi mate, Congrats on the spawn. I feed my Sterbai and panda fry on hikari first bites :thumbup: In my experience the fry need very clean water

JackGillett

Jan 10, 2010
Oxford
I've found that they breed fairly soon, at an Age of 6 months they should be going for you shortly :thumbup: get them conditioned with good quality food tablets and wafers with some bloodworm too

Gem400

May 18, 2009
Barnsley,UK
Congratulations Dave :clap:

I'd also go with liquify as first food, frozen baby brine does go down rather well when their slightly bigger, you'll do well with everything you've listed.

Cheers
Gemma

Panzerwels

Apr 19, 2011
Ontario. Canada
Congratulations on the spawn :clap:

My C. Sterbai have just spawned tonight for the first time as well, I’ve never had Corys spawn before but it has been my goal for some time, so I was very pleased to see this happen.

Has anyone tried rearing young Corys in a breeding net suspended near the surface of the main community tank?, I don’t have a spare rearing tank available at the moment, and can’t really warrant buying another one at this time as I only managed to save 20 or so eggs and they may not even be fertile for all I know :dk:?.

Thanks for reading this…Graham…

Gem400

May 18, 2009
Barnsley,UK
A fine mesh breeding net will do just fine as long as theres some flow through it. The larger mesh nets and the plastic breeding traps tend to have holes big enough for the new fry to escape through.

Congrats to you too :)

Cheers
Gemma

rpp1973

Apr 26, 2009
Stroud (Gloucestershire)
at the moment im rearing them first in a fine mesh net,this is in line of the filter return pipe for flow. then 2 days after hatching i transfer them to plastic 2 litre tub ( icecream / sandwitch box) these are just floating in the tank with a added airstone in each tub. wrap filter floss around the airstone and it acts as a little filter.
small numbers can be raised like this,
[ame="http://s278.photobucket.com/albums/kk119/rpp1973/sterbai/?action=view&current=P4160010.mp4"]sterbai :: 38 day old sterbai fry video by rpp1973 - Photobucket[/ame]

Last edited: