could anyone help me with my pleco please?

foosty

Dec 8, 2009
england
pleco pelvic fin detached

in this pic you can see the pelvic fin's detached i don't know how this has happened or if it can be fixed has anyone got any info or sugestions on what's wrong with it. if you'd like a better pic just ask.
thank you in advance

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
Sorry foosty, i cant explain what has happened to your plec, hopefully someone else will have a better idea, but i would suggest getting a water test kit if you dont already have one, they really are invaluable when trying to work out health issues.
as an immediate treatment, i'd look at doing daily partial (15-20%) water changes for the next week, clean water will heal most injuries fairly quickly.
the real danger for him is that of a secondary infection, so i'd get some melafix and pimafix from your local fish shop (LFS) and treat with these for now, they are both all natural so won't do any harm at all to any other fish or the filter.

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
What else do you have in your tank?
It appears that the hard rays of the pektorals on both sides are white?
Did this condition come on suddenly or over a period of time?

Damage to hard rays of the fins can heal themselves if conditions are favorable. I am a it concerned with the coloration of the fins as it doesn't appear normal & could be a contributing factor in the damage.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
oh dear, hard to see much in the pic, maybe try some more pics a little further away so camera can focus better? lloks red at base of fin like could have infection.
i agree with the melafix and pim afix after you do a good water change and filter wash (with tank water
is there another plec in there he could be fighting with?
does your heater have a cover?