Could someone ID this Pleco

Tomsan

Apr 23, 2012
Illinois
I am new here...I hope the picture shows up. I bought this and was told it was a Bristlenose (it was very small when I got it). I know now it is not. I just hope it isn't one that gets really big :cry: I have it in with my Discus .

Attachments

Tomsan

Apr 23, 2012
Illinois
Oh Dear God~!!! I will need to take him back and get something different. I was afraid of that, when I didn't see the bristles coming out. Thanks.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
yup they sure get big . Have a look at what your LFS has, write down and then ask the forum again. So maybe a hint to ask before you buy. cheers jk :thumbup:

Tomsan

Apr 23, 2012
Illinois
Lately I have only been buying the Bristlenose or others that stay small. They told me this one was a Bristlenose....he was only about an inch long when I got him. Thanks for the info!

beencees

Nov 5, 2011
Brisbane
They told me this one was a Bristlenose....he was only about an inch long when I got him. Thanks for the info!
Maybe it's just me but i would be looking at finding a better shop to deal with. I tend to vote with my feet and if i had a shop blatently lie to me as they did to you then they wouldn't be getting any more of my business.
Obviously they are pretty shortsighted and only looking for the quick buck and not returned customers.
Nice fish though. Hope you can trade him for something more suitable for you.
Good luck :)

Tomsan

Apr 23, 2012
Illinois
I have dealt with them for years....small family owned business. I would guess somebody either put them in the wrong tank, or they got mixed up during shipping. I live in a small town and don't have the luxury of any other pet shops. I either have to drive an hour or buy from Pet Smart :cry:

hinchles

Feb 13, 2012
UK
such a shame thats a fine looking gib i'd be wanting to keep him (I really do love them they're like gentle giants)

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
such a shame thats a fine looking gib i'd be wanting to keep him (I really do love them they're like gentle giants)
I was in the same position today at a LFS. They had a couple at 10cm/4" and they were stunning, lovely pattern and a red band across the top of their dorsal and caudal fins.

Their full name is Pterygoplicthys gibbiceps, and here's some more info about them.

Tomsan

Apr 23, 2012
Illinois
Ok, I decided to move him to the tank with my Angels. (I decided I wanted to keep him). There is a Bristlenose in with the Angels now. Within 2 days his fin on his back was all shredded!!! The Bristlenose must have done it! I have since moved him back with the Discus. I also have 2 small Rams, 2 Albino Bristlenose, 2 Clowns, 1 (don't know the name) and one other Bristlenose. His fins are all healed up now and he doesn't bother anyone so far. He doesn't bother the Discus either, I was just afraid he was going to, the reason I decided to move him. So, long story short....I am going to keep him. He fits the title of Gentle Giant ;)

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
It has never happened to me & I still have a hard time believeing it, but there are reports of gibbys and their relatives the commons sucking on the slime-coat of discus. So just keep a watchful eye open.

Tomsan

Apr 23, 2012
Illinois
I will!

Matubula, I just read the info you posted....boy he sure doesn't fit that profile! He is out all day long looking for goodies, and whenever one of the other plecos wants to eat on the same piece of food he is on, he just moves away and comes back later. Very docile , I would say. Hope he stays that way, cause he could eat one of those other small plecos in one bite! Haha

hinchles

Feb 13, 2012
UK
not all gibbs fit the standard profile :) all of mine in various sizes upto about 17" are out all day long the bigger ones even come up to the surface for a stroke when you put your hands in the tank.

it'll be your angels that had his fins btw not the bn's when he gets bigger the angels will be told where to go.

Craigo

Nov 28, 2010
Brisbane. QLD
As Stated above, I have experienced Gibbicepps sucking the slime coat off fish, especially if they are slow or asleep.
All they best they are awesome fish but do get large & some will get territorial & aggressive.

Tomsan

Apr 23, 2012
Illinois
Thanks for the info...I will keep an eye on him. He is back in with the Discus and it's right beside my recliner in the living room. So , I can watch him "alot"!