Crimson tide

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Might be helpful to say what type of fish it is for those unfamiliar. Had to google to see what it was.

What markings you talking about the bars? Most markings are due to natural markings not being fully outbred by selective breeding. Copuld also be mood dependent. Alpha male is usually the most colorful, subordinate males and females less so.

Derek

Apr 27, 2012
Edinburgh
Are you on about Cichlids from lake Victoria? This is the downfall of using common names as you could get the wrong advice. I agree with what Lornek is saying the bars are natural a good example of a male showing bars is Pundamilia Nyererei and still has plenty of colour. The latest issue PFK has an article on lake Victoria Cichlids.

anfo

Nov 9, 2010
sydney, Australia
Sorry guys for all the confusion...

The fish i'm referring to is the "Astatotilapia latifasciata"

Astatotilapia latifasciata or Crimson Tides as they are commonly referred to in Australia, are only known by that common name in this country, as the Crimson Tide referred to in other countries around the world is actually a completely different fish.

Male pic off the net...

Female pic...

Female with black permanent marks...

These marks / stains are permanent and only some have these... The staining on the pic above is a mild case, compared to what I've seen in the past...

Last edited: