Crystal Red Shrimp with Loaches?

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Anyone every try to keep CRS with loaches?
How'd it fare? Would housing the two together simply be providing the loaches with an expensive treat? Specifically looking at Zebra and Angelicus loaches which are still small, approximately 2" (5cm). For that matter other tankmates would be Dwarf Honey Gouramis & a small BN. Anyone see problems?

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
I have recently acquired some small shrimps. supposed to have been cherry but seem a mix of plink and clear, not like the pics you see of red cherries! they are about half an inch. I put some in small tank with plec fry, cories and 2 gold strripe panaques - none survived. I also put some in bigger tank, with more cover, with L134 , harlequin tetra, endlers, plec fry and 2 young medusa plecs (who I thought might eat them if the L134 did not), anyway they have bred and I see them creeping about when food is out.
not tried with loaches though!!! if you go for it, have lots of cover, small caves, shells, wood etc that the loaches can get in.

Princess x

May 12, 2009
Dorset
i Have them in two different tank's one has a few adolphoi cory's and baby longfin B'ns and claro's whilst the other they have to themselves hard choice personally i think the crs would be an easy snack for the loaches

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Thanks for the input, that was pretty much what I was thinking. I think I'll resist getting the CRS as I don't have a suitable tank for them at the moment. As much as I like my loaches I can't see feeding them a meal that costs me more than mine did last night.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Not sure about the Angelicus loaches but i have amano shrimp with zebra loaches and yoyo loaches and have done for a couple of years and they are all still around.

My two amano shrimp that are with the zebras are around 3 years old now