Curse Petbarn and their Ichy Neons!!!

Lucky_Phil

Oct 13, 2009
Central Coast, NSW, Australia
AAAAahhh... ooh that I had setup a quarantine tank sooner!:cry: Bought a dozen Neons from Petbarn on the weekend (1/2 price fish sale) now most of them are covered in whitespot... serves myself right I suppose.. Hope my BNs make it through unscathed. Anyone got recommendations ? I'm medicating the tank but am worried about my lovely BNs. :wb:

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
What med are you using?

The bns should be fine as long as you follow the instructions and don't overdose, also add plenty of extra air as the med you are using probably contains formalin which takes oxygen out of the water. iF the med contains malachite green then you need to half dose as stated on the bottle.

Lucky_Phil

Oct 13, 2009
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the feedback!

The stuff I've got is Aquamaster Rapid White Spot Remedy. It contains Formaldehyde and Malachite Green. I've halved the dose as recommended for Neons and will repeat treatment after a water change in 3 days. The temp is currently sitting around 27c.

The BN's aren't displaying any white spot at the moment but about 5 or 6 of the neons have it. (lost 3 in 3 days in a tank that has been cycled and is heavily planted, so I'm guessing they were sick when I got them).

Have now setup a quarantine tank and will be using it for all future purchases! I've read that with Ich it's pointless separating fish once they've been added to the community due to the fazes of the life cycle.

Cheers,

Phil

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
The bns probably have some but aren't showing yet. This often leads to people panicking and thinking the meds aren't working, because they have been treating for a couple of days and the fish seem more covered.

Keep treating for 3 or 4 days after you see the last spot and yep a QT is a good investment:yes:

Keep us updated how it goes.

Rabbit

Retired Staff
Apr 21, 2009
Auckland, NZ
As I learnt the other week, plecs dont show white spot very well so keep dosin as per recommended.
:yes:
Plecs don't show ich very well at all, and typically by the time you spot the cells as they leave the host a secondary infection has set in.

Lucky_Phil

Oct 13, 2009
Hi Guys,

Thanks for that information. I did a 10% water change this morning and re-medicated. The Neons are all clear and the BNs haven't shown any symptoms. Given your feedback though I think I'll medicate the tank again in another 3 days, just to be on the safe side. No more fatalities and everybody seems healthy....... ATM.

Cheers,

Phil

Akraziatic

Jun 30, 2009
Canberra, Aus
Here Here mate. I picked up some of those half price neons and put them in a my L66 tank. Things were good for a couple of weeks until I was hectic busy with work and uni and noticed the whitespot on them and started treating straight away. It took all my L66's within a couple of days. I've learnt my lesson..