Difference between L202 and L015

Khaifish

Feb 19, 2010
Sydney, Australia
i have L202 in a tank but as i compared them it looks very similar if not the same as my L015???? Can anyone outline the differences between the 2 L#'s??

Kingtiger

May 4, 2009
Sydney Parramatta
They are both Peckoltia species and therefore when they are fry/jurvenile it is very hard to distinguish them apart. I have some L080 and again when small they all looked the same....lol

Cheers

Khaifish

Feb 19, 2010
Sydney, Australia
They are both Peckoltia species and therefore when they are fry/jurvenile it is very hard to distinguish them apart. I have some L080 and again when small they all looked the same....lol

Cheers
Thanks. But even when i compare the big ones i find it hard to distinguish between them?? How do you know what you have is a L015, L202 or L080??? Btw pics of juvies can be found in my thread in the AUS classifieds. thx

Kingtiger

May 4, 2009
Sydney Parramatta
You better post up a pix of your L015 and see what ppl think.

I believe the L015 has more solid colour and pattern. Seen large L015 10cm+ but never seen the L202 that size but this is only going off my own visual account. Maybe someone who breeds L202 can shed some light on the size and colouration comparing to L015.

Cheers

Khaifish

Feb 19, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Btw pics of juvies can be found in my thread in the AUS classifieds. thx
Pics are ^

Well my supposed L015 adults are all around 10cm maybe the males a bit smaller at 9cm. I think it is very hard to properly i.d the species as i breed them and know from experience that each individual fish can have a different pattern.

BluE SnipeR

Oct 11, 2009
Sydney
i have L202 in a tank but as i compared them it looks very similar if not the same as my L015???? Can anyone outline the differences between the 2 L#'s??
L15 are a lighter fish and don't have lines as thick as the L202 when adults. As young it can get pretty confusing as peckoltia babies look very similar until they reach a certain size.

I cant even tell apart L134's from L202's until they reach 3cm, and this is young from adults that look totally different.

Here are the links of the two fish.
L15
http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/image.php?species=peckoltia+vittata&image_id=1208
L202
http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/image.php?species=peckoltia+lineola&image_id=10342

Here is your L15 fry

This is one of my L202 young

I think you can start to tell the difference at 3cm.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Khaifish

Feb 19, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Thanks, but i guess the background is also a deciding factor in their shade of colour. My adult males are definitely not light, they just look like hairy black fishes lol but i guess its the same with most adult males, they tend to lose their colour.

BluE SnipeR

Oct 11, 2009
Sydney
Thanks, but i guess the background is also a deciding factor in their shade of colour. My adult males are definitely not light, they just look like hairy black fishes lol but i guess its the same with most adult males, they tend to lose their colour.
Have you got pics of the 2 fish when not stressed? I will try and get some photos of my L202 adults for you when I get a chance.