Other DISCUSSION OF RULES FOR THE CLASSIFIEDS

bre

Apr 21, 2009
Newcastle, Australia
Good Morning Aussies!

We have had a few misinterpretations of the classifieds rules of late and as such I am putting this out there for opinions. So feel free to comment as you see fit in this post in regards to anything below.

* EOI threads
* Rules for posting in the classifieds link to current set of rules
* Anything at all to make our classifieds more user friendly.

Remember these are a Free classifieds. We have quite a substantial user base and want to keep things are hassle free as possible.
The rules haven't been updated in 4 years and while I can say "why change something when it works", with the recent issues I would like opinions from people who use the classifieds.

So I am opening this up for a full and indepth discussion.

Go for it!
Bre

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
1) Adding sold.
As a courtesy to other interested buyers I would like sellers to revisit their threads and put sold, or no longer available if they aren't still up for sale.
Saves newbies going down 6 months of adverts and bumping up threads which have no notices that they were ever sold.
If buyers can't find their old threads, just pm one of us mods and we'll find it and put sold and close the thread.

2) No hassles or on thread low balling.
I really do enjoy this section of the forum as its nice and courteous and no hassles. Other forums I visit are not so well set up and are plagued with on thread low ball crazy offers which are really irritating.

3) Pricing
Its pretty well priced by sellers usually but sometimes the fish can be over priced in the current market. Buyers may privately pm if they are interested in buying and offer a lower price but don't insult the seller and be courteous please.
If you aren't interested in buying and the price is crazy high, the seller won't get any offers and they will then have to rethink their pricing.

I have the same thoughts on those who don't follow the templates correctly or who don't offer photos. Too bad, you won't get a sale.

4) Anonymity.
What I am not keen on is people throwing up their phone contact details - please ring if you want a sale, nor am I keen on sellers saying phone me or email me for photos.

The whole idea of the forum is buyers and sellers can remain anonymous and not have to give up their contact details and true names as face book is currently making a lot of people do. I've been in fish keeping so long I really don't mind people knowing my name but I don't enjoy phone calls on fish keeping. I prefer all internet contact so I can respond at my own leisure.

Of course for fish pick up or if shipping, details have to be exchanged. I'm fine with that but many times I have met a pleco planet alias in a car park somewhere and done the exchange without ever knowing the persons real name or where they live.
Yes some people are that private and we must respect their privacy. We still get the lovely fishes. :woohoo:

Are06n

May 28, 2013
Central Coast, NSW
With EOI listings it's up to the buyer to offer what he/she is willing to pay. It's not a set price. It's like a silent auction.

People need to read the entire listing. No postage = no postage

It's common courtesy to mark your post as SOLD once your fish are sold.

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
Yeah I agree. There also shouldn't be different rules for different people.
I'm sure that will change now though.
I don't like people commenting on for sale threads and you shouldn't be forced to give a price in an EOI ad. People know what they are willing/wanting to pay
I'm happy to pay more for good quality fish from a reliable and honest breeder who won't stuff you around

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
i like brenguns reply... covers most items....

i have always been under the impression an "EOI" title for your classified add is to find out if anybody is interested to buy your fish... or "EOI" can be used for an upcoming future sale... eg) i currently have 23 x L046's at just under 3cm coming up for sale in 1 month...

i dont like the fact people use it to entice potential buyers to bid against each other at the sellers discretion... brengun and i were in a bidding war against each other many years ago without knowing until some time later.... but the seller kept replying someone else offered more - so if you want them make a better offer... i had no idea if any of these offers were actually true or not... the seller could have just been ramping to see how high he could get the price....

IMO if you want to auction your fish take them to an auction where its all out in the open and legit and theres no dodgy goings on...

if your selling your fish you have a price in mind - post it..... if you have no idea what they are worth post in pleco section and ask what people think your fish are worth...

i would be happy to see "EOI" removed and simplify the classifieds to "WANT TO BUY" or "FOR SALE" only....

happy with template setup...

i dont think its necessary to post "PM SENT" in a reply to an add... as im sure the person will know he/she has a pm...

only replies should be those asking questions about the fish themselves that other potential buyers could also be interested in asking...

definitely dont like phone numbers being posted as it leaves you open to anybody who has seen the add to annoy you if they feel like it... and privacy is something you should protect... exchanging of phone numbers and personal inquiries regarding fish should be directed to the persons "PRIVATE MESSAGES" and not posted for all to see...

as for old posts being re-ignited because there has been no "SOLD" put up... can all posts be locked after 3 mths as is done on some other forums...

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
Ok but in relation to EOI ads there was a recent post where a guy asked what rare fish he had would be worth and was told $30-40 however fortunately for him they sold for $500 each. So someone's opinion could've potentially cost him thousands.
Also now that there are rarer fish in the country starting to breed there will be people genuinely unsure of what fry are worth and I'd be concerned that they are given very low prices.
When I've put someone up saying I'll have someone available soon for every 10 messages I get saying please let me know as I'm keen, 9 people don't bother replying when the fish are ready because they have already purchased others or lost interests

Yeah PM sent is a waste as are other unnecessary bumping of threads (within reason).
The amount of times I've got excited thinking something I was after is for sale only to open the thread and see its someone asking if something from 3 years ago is still available.
Updates on fish being sold is essential

bre

Apr 21, 2009
Newcastle, Australia
For the time being I have made it that only threads active in the past 100 days are visible. If you wish you can view the older thread by simply going to the bottom of the Aus Classifieds Index. In the display options change it from last 100 days to whatever you choose. But the preset should now be 100 days.
All threads older than 100 days have been closed. The threads can still be viewed and PMs sent regarding them. It will just stop people dragging up old ones to ask if they are sold you can do this via PM instead.

With fish that are sold. Once sold has been posted in the thread one of us staff members will then lock the thread and edit the title to include *SOLD* at the end.

Last edited: