DIY bottled Co2 on the cheap

Paul_fox

May 7, 2009
UK
The other option is to buy a fire extinguisher (make sure its reconditioned and labeled, should be about £20-£30), a c02 regulator like this (£29), a nut and tail (£2.59) to reduce the dia to suit 6mm tubing, a needle valve such as this, although go for a Clippard if possible as they cost about a tenner, but you need the screw in adapters for the 6mm tubing try Westgroup, have to buy the adapters in packs of ten and you only need two, but the valve and adapters should cost about £20 and a de-fusser.
As long as you use c02 tubing and set the reg on the fire extinguisher to output a very little amount, you only need to use the needle valve to fine tune it and no need for a bubble counter as a you can check the c02 in the water using thiscalculator, all you need is a kh and ph test kit and very accurate.
With regards to a solenoid valve, you dont really need one as you can use an airstone at night to up the o2 in the water and reduce the c02.

Just a little cheaper than the proper aquatic c02 setup!!, I and my friends have been using these for a few years and cant fault it

Last edited:

Rabbit

Retired Staff
Apr 21, 2009
Auckland, NZ
Well done paul, im really no good at plants but have always wanted a planted tank with a few tetra spp..
If im using a c02 source do i still require a fertelizer?, or will the fish and scrap food provide enough to support the plants?

Paul_fox

May 7, 2009
UK
Yes, you do need ferts, even more so as the plants grow quicker, so need more ferts, I use pmdd imported from the states (Greg Watsons old site), have a look on the barr report or APC for sources for them or google garden direct for some.
I bought 500 grams of CSM+B and 250 grams of chealted iron for about £25 and it last for years. To see how much you need to use, heres a fert calculator. You will also see that you should also add nitrates and phosphates, contrary to popular belief, they dont cause algae, what does is an imbalance of 'something'
Heres some bedtime reading on the basics and how to do it, but theres no point having c02 unless you have over 2 wpg lighting.

might this be worth linking to the DIY forum thinking about it?

Last edited:

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
might this be worth linking to the DIY forum thinking about it?
I reckon so.

Thats interesting to read, ive been trying to decide what co2 system to get for the nano tank, the dennerle own kit is £87, a lot of money for a 20L tank