DIY Caves

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
G'day Everyone
I would like to share with you a proven DIY Cave, I found one in a forum, Kudos goes to http://www.plecofanatics.com/articles/showentry.php?e=88&catid=2 & Mathew Beaugard(sp) from the www.fishcave.com.au

OK This is what I did...
I used a clay/terracotta pot from my local nursery(70cents), 6cms x 6cms, hack-sawed it in two halves, with a half rounded basturd file (I know it is spelt wrong but it wouldn't let me write it cos it was swearing lol),
I made the opening of the cave & smoothed off the edges with the file..
Using Selleys aquarium silicone, I stuck the two halves into the cave shape. Then dismantled a cheap picture frame, and stuck the pot/cave onto the glass, Leave 4>6 days to cure..
Viola.. The perfect & proven BN breeding cave ...:yes:

The happy home owner

Then I got even more creative lol & made another one into a camo cave
This time I got smarter & used a Dremel to cut it... :D

:woohoo:

Last edited:

Catfishrok

Jan 11, 2010
newcastle nsw
did u just use the silicone to glue the rocks to it, I think i might give it a go with sand and dirt do u think that will work the same as rocks.
Thanx and nice job
Aaron

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
Hi Aaron, yes I used Selleys silicone for aquariums to attach the rocks, I it would looks good with sand..Give it a go..its inexpensive..:yes:

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
Pretty sure I have seen those pots already cut in half at garden centres for mounting on a wall or such. Didn't think of the cheap glass from a picture frame tho. Good tip Mooo. :)

Yeah you can prolly get the pots already cut in craft shops too, but I have heaps from the rams, so I am using the dremel now to halve them lol. sounds like a dentist drill :cry:
Oh and I had a spare broke lid , & while the glass man was fixing the window when Bonnie broke it, I got him to cut the lid up into cave sized rectangles, So I got a heap of them now, ready to glue caves on to :lol::clap:

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
I love those spy caves, such a great idea to put glass on the bottom. Like the camo cave lol

it would be a miracle if you can get the PF link to work

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
Oh pffft PF :lol: ..yeah I forgot about that lol oops.
Thanks for that Doodles...I didn't twig to that, prolly never would have either :clap:.....Lucky someone is on da ball :yes:

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
The gravel I used for the camo cave is just small gravel from one of my tanks..I also think sand would work well...easier to stick on too...

C8lyn

Aug 3, 2010
Toowoomba, Qld
Ive got some little pots. Just gotta find me some bits of glass :D
Then decide how I'm gonna decorate them. I don't have any sand in my tank so i don't know if that would fit in. I'll make up my mind sooner or later :lol:

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
Do you live near a beach ?mm no 2 hours away ummm Ok or a river bed ? if not , you can buy sand from the local nursery or landscaping supply depot...Just give any thing your going to stick on the cave a very good wash...rinse & rinse & rinse, Let it dry then stick to cave

smart

Nov 8, 2009
hertfordshire
you can try the sand, but might be more difficult than you think, i tried it a few years back on some tubes, i covered them in silicone and rolled it through some sand but it didn't stick so tried letting it cure abit and just covering them in sand and tipped off the excess once it was dry, got in a bit of a mess but had a couple of good tubes out of it.

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
I don't know what will bread in them other than bns, Cos I've only ever bred the bns, I think the smaller L numbers like a tight fit...you could try making a smaller one and a larger one to see which they prefer, then write a topic about them...That'd be great...

The pots come in different sizes my local shop stocks ones suitable from shrimp size to 24 inch super sized ones so making caves from each size is worth it as you can upgrade the caves as the fish grow and they will take even the largest pleco.
Use a file on entrance to cave is a must to smooth edge down or you can get some injuries.
File can be used on roof of cave to rough up to attach moss,,gravel, sand or Anubias.
Some one on another forum ( i think from Japan ) used driftwood for base to breed 204's,i have with 168 and BN's and soon i hope with a peppermint that is very full.( if not will be moving all peppermints to smaller tank as they are hunting down tetras at night )

C8lyn

Aug 3, 2010
Toowoomba, Qld
All done. I'm sure my bns will love it :D
Just gotta wait a while for the silicone to cure. The tube says to wait seven days, but is that just for a good seal? I've read a lot of people saying that 48 - 72 hours is fine?