Do you impulse buy?

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Sometimes we see a pleco we really like the look of but are unsure exactly what it is. Would you buy it and then find out or find out first?

If you have bought without knowing, what pleco did it turn out to be?

Stan

Apr 23, 2009
Shenzhen, China
I bought this cute little spotted plec years ago, turned out to be Adonis, kept him for 2 years before he out grew my 30 breeder. I have bought several knowing what family but not knowing the species.

bre

Apr 21, 2009
Newcastle, Australia
hmm...impulse buy....me ......never :wb:

Walked into the lfs hubby used to work at and seen some whiptails. Ended up buying 12 of them just because they would only cost me $10 for each of them.
Just after starting out in plecos hubby rang and said there is a pleco here, it's got stripes. I just told him to buy it and bring it home (which he did). Ended up being our first panaque.....L104.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Well, i spose now we should know enough about plecs not to end up with something thats totally unsuitable lol

When I was a total noob and had just set up first tank which was only 50L, my other half decided to go get an algae eater and yes you can guess, was a baby common plec. Luckily I researched what he was straight away and 4 tank upgrades later, he is now 1 foot long, very active and eats like a horse--still really needs another upgrade though.

L104 is a cute first plec, couldn't get much smaller either lol

timkel

May 30, 2009
Northants
When i was looking for some pictus,i went into the lfs and saw some pangasius catfish,i thought hmmm theyre nice they might do instead.Luckily i came home to research them:wb:51" Also in the same lfs they had some "gold plecos"That turned out to be gold nuggets.I could very easily impulse buy,but i have learned its best to research 1st lol.

Apr 27, 2009
Middle Earth
No i buy Lynx.

:lol: ok yes deffo, i like to think i know enough about the various plecs now that if i see one i like and have wanted then i'll buy in a flash, i wouldn't buy one that i hadn't already considered unless i researched it 1st though, my LFS had a group of L024 in and i thought i've seen these on the net they look awesome, but i did a bit more research 1st and concluded their diet wasn't compatible with the rest of my fish, theres still 2 of them there now :(

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Most of mine are.
The availabilty of certain fish around here isn't as good as what others might enjoy so if I see it and can justify it to myself, I buy it.

SilverDub

Apr 27, 2009
Do I impulse buy?

Hell yeah every time I see a banned fish i buy it, so that it can be passed on to Geeman to give to Windy for breeding......66s anyone?

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
not so much as impulse buy, but i will spend 8hrs driving to far away shops to see what they have, then feel it would be rude not to buy something, but like Terry says, i think i know enough to get by with any or most plecs, then do specific research when i get back, i guess my last proper impulse buy was my chubby plec, saw them and had to get one, always thought they were great looking plecs but didn't know any specifics about them before i bought him, luckily though i have 1 tank with wood eaters/ vegetarians in, 1 omnivore and 1 carnivore tank running so am fairly safe as far as the dietry needs of any new plecs

Sam

Apr 24, 2009
Sussex, UK
Not so much with buying plecs that I don't know about. (Except for my first plec, before I had internet and believed the shop.) :wb:

But in the past the impulse has been "Oooooh! He's a nice plec. I think I could squeeze another tank in somewhere..." :D

Pete

May 19, 2009
North wales
I have to be honest went out looking for a watermelon panaque and came back with a L190 as well could not leave him there :D