Eheim pick up Internal filters reveiw

D-MAC

Jul 24, 2009
Lossiemouth
www.danditropicals.co.uk
I have sold these for a good number of years now and can honestly say I have found them to be one of the best around.
They come in 4 sizes to cover tanks sizes 45ltr,60ltr,160ltr and a 200ltr with flow rates of 50-180,150-300,220-500 and the largest 220-570lph

Maintenance of these are very simple, the whole green cartridge just slides upwards for easy removal...On removal the impeller is visible and can be cleaned very easily...You can also clean the impeller well at this time as access again is easy to get to.
The top of the filter comes with a grey cap where a directional flow regulator and venturi air system is situated...This cap is removed to allow access to the simple sponge filter.

These are a very competitively priced filter and well worth a look if you are in the market for a good internal

Sambo

Aug 21, 2011
uk
Absolutely fantastic piece of kit I have the smallest in a 45, other than the proff 2 thermo I'd say the best filter I have- Eheim really do know how good they are - Fifteen pounds!!

AndyEllard

Jan 27, 2010
Leamington Spa. UK
I am looking at some new internals for my John Allen tank rack (8 tanks 2x1x1)

I currently have sponge filters connected to powerheads at the moment but am thinking about changing them.

I have 1 Eheim bio-power 180 that I'm happy with, and also a Fluval u2 which is useless.

I see these Eheim internals only take a sponge inside could media be added? I was looking at the 2010 (160l version).

My tanks mostly have either cory's or BN's in them so do produce a bit of waste.

D-MAC

Jul 24, 2009
Lossiemouth
www.danditropicals.co.uk
I am looking at some new internals for my John Allen tank rack (8 tanks 2x1x1)

I currently have sponge filters connected to powerheads at the moment but am thinking about changing them.

I have 1 Eheim bio-power 180 that I'm happy with, and also a Fluval u2 which is useless.

I see these Eheim internals only take a sponge inside could media be added? I was looking at the 2010 (160l version).

My tanks mostly have either cory's or BN's in them so do produce a bit of waste.
You could cut the sponges in half and replace one half with some bio media.
However I have found these to be a superb and simple filter on its own rights as it is.

AndyEllard

Jan 27, 2010
Leamington Spa. UK
You could cut the sponges in half and replace one half with some bio media.
However I have found these to be a superb and simple filter on its own rights as it is.
If I were to do that do you think it would be as good as a bio-power? If so it would save a few quid as the 2010's are half the price of the Bio's.

D-MAC

Jul 24, 2009
Lossiemouth
www.danditropicals.co.uk
If I were to do that do you think it would be as good as a bio-power? If so it would save a few quid as the 2010's are half the price of the Bio's.
I have never done it myself so I can't give you a 100% answer on that one...All I can say is I use the pick up series of filters in some of the shop tanks and find them very good :thumbup:

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
whats the dimensions of the biggest one Derek?

I may use one of these as a glorified powerhead

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
Have a look at the aquaballs mate. Not a bad bit of kit
I've one in there already that has a venturi on it pretty powerful, in fact more powerful than that one I think.

You can add anywhere between 1 and 3 media sections, they just clip on the bottom of each other. I have only 1 on at the moment so it's a great current maker with venturi as well as compact

AndyEllard

Jan 27, 2010
Leamington Spa. UK
I've just been to my Lfs and ordered 6 of the 2010's (160l version) they price matched with arcpetsonline, so will get them for £15.94 each. Not bad when they sell the smaller 2008 version for £22.99 each.

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
I like both the "Pick-ups" and the "Aquaballs", but you can easily DIY sponge filters with huge Biological Filtration Capacity. You can make your own HMF filters (powered with either air or a powerhead) or I use a combination of Maxijet powerheads and centrally drilled Koi 12" x 4" x 4" PPI10 sponges ("Coarse" grade). If you want to fine tune these you can by adding a finer grade insert etc.

I have a range of sponge sizes and inserts pre-cut, some as 4" cubes (3 from a 12" block) with a plain ceramic tile fixed to the base, some without the tile etc. and a number of 2nd hand Maxijets (mainly 400 and 1200's), to cover a range of tank sizes.

cheers Darrel

AndyEllard

Jan 27, 2010
Leamington Spa. UK
Hi all,
I like both the "Pick-ups" and the "Aquaballs", but you can easily DIY sponge filters with huge Biological Filtration Capacity. You can make your own HMF filters (powered with either air or a powerhead) or I use a combination of Maxijet powerheads and centrally drilled Koi 12" x 4" x 4" PPI10 sponges ("Coarse" grade). If you want to fine tune these you can by adding a finer grade insert etc.

I have a range of sponge sizes and inserts pre-cut, some as 4" cubes (3 from a 12" block) with a plain ceramic tile fixed to the base, some without the tile etc. and a number of 2nd hand Maxijets (mainly 400 and 1200's), to cover a range of tank sizes.

cheers Darrel
I do a similar thing using 2 sponges on a 600lph powerhead, but I think it just look messy, which is why I wanted to change them.

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
I do a similar thing using 2 sponges on a 600lph powerhead, but I think it just look messy, which is why I wanted to change them.
Point taken, mine actually look much messier than yours, which look a smart job.

Is that an air pump running through the venturi as well?

All my tanks are quite heavily planted, and most have a lot of wood in them, which makes hiding heaters, filters etc, much easier.

cheers Darrel

AndyEllard

Jan 27, 2010
Leamington Spa. UK
Hi all,
Point taken, mine actually look much messier than yours, which look a smart job.

Is that an air pump running through the venturi as well?

All my tanks are quite heavily planted, and most have a lot of wood in them, which makes hiding heaters, filters etc, much easier.

cheers Darrel
Hi Darrel.

Mine have a piece of air tubing from the top of the powerhead for the venturi. I also have in the tank a normal 2 sponge air powered filter (in the background) which is where the tubing you see coming down goes to.

Cheers Andy.