Fasting pleco Question

McTackett

Mar 12, 2013
Gladstone
Hey,
I have been working my way through alot of these feeding threads and I have changed my feeding routine and my plecos are responding well and looking healthier so thanks heaps for the info.
I had one question tho alot of people fast or don't feed their plecos one day a week or when they do a water change. what is the benefit?
does it have to do with stressed fish not eating as well??
Thanks

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
i do not feed my fish on sunday. Basically just to give them a rest. In the wild, any fish will feed themselves full of what they can get. We in the aquarium hobby also always tend to overfeed our fish, thus we get algae, dirty water, more snails etc. When I go on holiday and a friend looks after my tanks, he only feeds every 2 days and all fish survive. Fish can survive for quite a long time without feeding, as there is still so much food in the aquarium from micro organisms etc that they can graze on. So that is my routine, small feeds at 6pm and then sunday no food. cheers jk :thumbup:

McTackett

Mar 12, 2013
Gladstone
thanks. Think I will add that to my routine and see how I go. They are looking really nice atm, and have coloured up nicely since I added a few extra items to food list.

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
Is the idea that when you don't feed after a water change they will concentrate on breeding instead of eating?
Cheers

foti

Apr 20, 2010
Sydney AUS 2206
Is the idea that when you don't feed after a water change they will concentrate on breeding instead of eating?
Cheers
Well said I get upset that I feed after a WC and then I think to myself if I didn't feed they would of bred today!
Lol
I do 3 WC every 2 weeks and 1out of the 3 they dont get food hoping that they focus on each other
It doesn't always happen but when it does it always happens on the day I don't feed!

GEV83

Oct 2, 2010
LA, County
I tend to not feed my fish after a water change only cause then I see the food they miss all over the glass bottom and it just gets to me. Unless I clean it early in the morning then I wont feed them.

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
I've just done 50% water changes with this cool change & rain that has hit
I am not going to feed for a few days & see what happens
My L's aren't doing anything so I'll give it a go
I'll let you know if I have any luck :)

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
It's funny you both say that as I actually fed the 397's before I remembered I wasn't feeding the fish. Hopefully the 66 & 134's will be ok being carnivores.
Of course I'll feed the fry & pepps as they are breeding anyway.
It's still raining. I might do a 30% water change again today & tomorrow & see what happens. Anyone had any luck like that?

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
Cool. Do you do big or little % changes? I hope mine go ok with not much food.
I'll try leaving the heaters off for a few hours too