Feeding 134 fry

bikerman6660

May 3, 2009
N/East UK
Hi I was wondering when is the best time to start feeding the fry in the fry saver. Is it best to wait until the egg sac is absorbed completely? They are 6 days old but look to have quite a bit of egg sac left

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
Hi I was wondering when is the best time to start feeding the fry in the fry saver. Is it best to wait until the egg sac is absorbed completely? They are 6 days old but look to have quite a bit of egg sac left
I dont feed anything until the egg sac has totally gone. I have heard of some people starting to feed just before it goes but I have tried this and ended up with food waste lying about in the trap and that worried my slightly.

Cheers

thegeeman

bikerman6660

May 3, 2009
N/East UK
Thanks for that its the way I was thinking of doing it as I don,t want to load their digestive systems too early as well as have food waste hanging about

lealea

Apr 25, 2009
Brisbane Australia
I feed my L134 while they have eggs sacs and have never had any troubles, just don't over feed them and remember to crush the food down so it is small. My fry tank has vry good filtration and I do clean it daily so foo isn't left there between feeds. But The L134 fry are always healthy and I have had about 40 - 50 spawns to date grown up over the years. lealea

garfieldnfish

Oct 7, 2009
Acworth, GA
As my L134 fry grow up in their parents tank, food is available to them all the time. They know when they need to start eating and won't do so until they're ready. I never break up the food. They seem to have no problem eating the exact same food as their parents do right from the beginning. In a fry saver I would wait until the eggs sacks are gone or only put one shrimp pellet or 1/4 tropical wafer in the fry saver this way it's easier to vacuum out if you see they won't touch it.