Feeding cuke, zuch?

Stan

Apr 23, 2009
Shenzhen, China
Evening everyone, just wondering when you guys feed veggies to your plecs, do you leave the seeds in or remove them? I have always left them in, but someone on another forum said it was dangerous for them. Whats your take on this?
Cheers

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Zuchinni/courgette- I leave them in, haven't had any problems for 3 years, this is including smaller plecs like L104, LDA25.
Just some extra info--I also leave the skin on zuchinni/cougette but i scrub it until all the waxiness is removed. All my plecs eat the skin now.

Cucumber-I remove the insides, these pips seem to be bigger and more solid, and i also heard that they could cause a blockage.

Bubbles

Apr 23, 2009
Milton Keynes
Hi

This is the first time i have heard that it was dangerous for them, i dont remove the seeds from the cucumber as i sometimes push a plec wafer into the flesh as a little extra for them, i have been feeding them organic courgette lately and they have only had small seeds which i do remove as i have noticed when my plecs eat i sometimes get a few little seeds floating about, so i removed to stop that happening. Plus they eat the skin first lol. I do remove the brown hairy bit from mushroom and peel it.

I didnt think cucumber seeds were hard enough for them to choke on, as they are easily squashed between the fingers.

I hope someone can clear this up.

Bubbles

Apr 23, 2009
Milton Keynes
Zuchinni/courgette- I leave them in, haven't had any problems for 3 years, this is including smaller plecs like L104, LDA25.
Just some extra info--I also leave the skin on zuchinni/cougette but i scrub it until all the waxiness is removed. All my plecs eat the skin now.

Cucumber-I remove the insides, these pips seem to be bigger and more solid, and i also heard that they could cause a blockage.
Sorry i was typing the same time as Doodles.

I do the same as Doodles with courgette, but i do remove the seeds as sometimes i get a couple floating around the tank.

From now on i will remove the cucumber seeds, thanks Doodles : D

Last edited:

Stan

Apr 23, 2009
Shenzhen, China
Thanks to both of you! I'll tell you, regarding the seeds, I have found at different times over the years that I have had some cuke seeds germinate both in my substrate, and more recently in my overhead filter on my Jebo tanks! Perhaps I'll start to remove my seeds from now on, better to err on the side of caution i guess.:yes::yes:

Bubbles

Apr 23, 2009
Milton Keynes
Thanks to both of you! I'll tell you, regarding the seeds, I have found at different times over the years that I have had some cuke seeds germinate both in my substrate, and more recently in my overhead filter on my Jebo tanks! Perhaps I'll start to remove my seeds from now on, better to err on the side of caution i guess.:yes::yes:
:hi:

wow....... i agree best to err on the side of caution :yes:

Pete

May 19, 2009
North wales
I only occasionally feed cucumber ,mainly feed cougette and sweet potato
I just cut it into 2 inch pieces wash it and wiegh it down with a stainless teaspoon .
I've never seen seeds in the tank the other fish must eat them

Tony_s

May 4, 2009
Wisconsin
When my Pleco was little,i was concerned about the seeds from Zuke,till i noticed my Danios eating them when they were falling..

I think my Danios were Labradors in another life,they eat everything and anything.

Tony_s

May 4, 2009
Wisconsin
I've been deseeding my veggies lately,seems to keep the tank cleaner.When i do a water change,i had the net ready to get the seeds after they were kicked up from the gravel after adding new water.

My guy really digs lettuce....

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Look into lettuce a little more, i remember reading that some types are poisonous for fish, but the regular types are ok.