Feeding L333 fry

sactler

Apr 21, 2010
Sydney
Hi
I have lots of L333 fry and would like to know what to feed them. I have tried zuchini and alge wafers. They are in a 400lt tank with the rest of the colony. Only other fish in the tank are 4 blue rams. I seem to have a high motality rate.
thanks

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
Do you notice the blue rams picking them or the food off? My L66 fry eat lots of zucchini & algae wafers without any issues. Are the fry getting past egg sac stage?
You can try slightly blanching the zucchini but I don't lose fry when I don't blanch it
If it's not the rams keep them off food it must be the water itself or substrate I would think
Have you got any small frozen foods like daphnia, baby brine shrimp etc?

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
You may find the meatier adults food is bloating the little ones. Try a blander sort of tank food and feed less of the high protein stuff.

I find new era cichlid veg logs and Hikari algae wafers good. A little bit of flake food as it disperses over the whole tank and the little ones can grab some as it goes by.
My sera viformo is fed really sparing when the fry are really young. Just a little so the adults grab it first.
I'm too lazy to fed vegs, that's what the new era green is for, to replace the big vegs.

sactler

Apr 21, 2010
Sydney
I havent noticed the rams picking at the fry.
I have managed to catch 10 fry and moved them to a two foot tank on their own. I am feeding them alge wafers and cichlid flakes. I havent lost one yet.
I did notice that some of them were bloated so maybe they were eating too much.