Feeding Tip for pleco fry

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
I noticed that fry are very hesitant( esp in a communtiy tank) to feed on veg that is on the bottom of tank.

Soo, i decided to put some courgette or mushroom in, with a couple of wafers poked in and left it to float---this didnt really work but if you can keep the veg stationary(still floating), they will find it fairly easy and feed:yes:

I have a small aqua ball in the tank which is pretty close to surface, i float the veg so that the filter prevents it from moving around the tank, works very well.

Will sort out some pics to show.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
yes pics will help, cant quite get my head round it.
I assume you are talking plec fry?
I find my fry will eat on bottom of tank but prefer if it is near cover or in shade like under a overhanging rock or plant.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
yep sorry plec fry.Ill edit title

Its mainly the fry that are quite small, probably about half an inch. As its a community tank, there are corydoras and a mad SAE in there with them. The bigger fry are quite happy to eat at the bottom.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
yes right, its the cory competition. I only have a few shy cories in my plec fry and breeding tanks and they dont think much of runner beans or cucumber -lol.

cup

Retired Staff
May 6, 2009
Berkeley, CA
Ancistrus fry, in particular, I have found to be very vertically oriented. Especially shier wild type species.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
yes right, its the cory competition. I only have a few shy cories in my plec fry and breeding tanks and they dont think much of runner beans or cucumber -lol.
lol, my corys quite like courgette when its softened up:yes:

Ancistrus fry, in particular, I have found to be very vertically oriented. Especially shier wild type species.
Thanks cup, ive noticed that with the L144, even quite large/older fry too.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
just a kind of update.

My common bns have bred in my large tank and prefer to be on the bottom as opposed to the L144's in other tank avoiding the bottom lol.