feeding veggies with fishing line

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
We are going away for a week soon and my friend is going to come by daily to check the tanks and feed the fishies. He prefers to not put his hands in the tank to feed the plecs/retrieve the food clips. So I recall someone here using fishing line . Do I need to put a weight on the end that is outside the tank? if so, what kind of weight should I use ? I use 3 food clips nightly. Many thanks ,

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
I've used a bolt or clip tied to the line to hold the veggies, the other end doesn't need to have anything on it but it does help to control the losses end. Just about anything with a bit of weight to it could work from a hardware nut or washer to simple a bag with some coins or rocks or something. Just make sure the weight isn't heavy enough to lift the veggies out of the water.

An important note if you're going to use fishing line is to use a heavy line. I used 50 pound test. The issue is that plecs can get entangled in fine fishing lines or string.

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
thanks Lorne, ok, got some washers that will do the trick. Will clean them just in case .... and thanks for the heads up on the 50lb test line--I was concerned about them getting caught . Hubby and I have plenty of line but we used foggers to kill spiders in the garage where we keep our gear so it is not safe for tanks or fishing now. Going to the store tomorrow ,get new line, then off to the cabin on the lake Monday !:woohoo:

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Oh, just a clarification. By fishing line I mean monofilament just to make sure we're talking the same stuff. That's the common stuff but there are other types of fishing line that wouldn't be suitable in 50 pound test, stuff like dacron, spectra or one of the other braided lines would probably need to be much larger test. Also, the mono is slick and would keep the plec's spines from getting caught, anyone who has tried catching plecs with a net knows what I mean.

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
thanks Lorne, today is my only chance to get it, so appreciate the qiuck response. I will look for monofilament ,50lb test weight. Did not realize there were different kinds , and yeah I was very concerned about their fins getting caugh so I am glad you clearified that for me.

Blackdolphin

Dec 6, 2012
Melbourne
Hey, I feed my fish all the time with fishing line. I usually tie off one end with a fishing sinker, followed by Zucchini then followed by another sinker. I then lead fishing line back to top of tank and sit the fish food container on top of it. It's not dangerous and they tend to eat around it. Hope this helps!

Psycho

May 20, 2012
Brisbane
I use fishing line and weights used on plants just tie a few together, use one end as a hook to pierce the zucchini and the other end to add extra weights. Just trial and error - keep adding weights until it sinks. Done! No mess!

Cheers,
Shane

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
hey loco and Shane , thanks for the replies ! Really the issue is not about sinking the food, it is that we are going to the lake for a week and my friend is not comfy putting his arm in the tank to retrieve the food clips in the morning. He is concerned he will unknowningly bring in a bad bacteria or something.... so he came by last night and we tied the line to the food clips which sink anyway, then put some washers on the the other end , and it worked great . I woke this am and just pulled the lines up , no dripping water off my arm to get them ---I like this idea and gonna continue it when I get back from vacation. I did not realize how many people use fishing line so I appreicate your replies. Shane, love the pic:thumbup: beautiful plecs and tank ! the line did not seem to bother them at all, great showing the use.

ok, gotta grab some last min things, toothbrush, beer and ice ,pack the truck and hit the road.. see ya all in a week :hi:

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
make sure any metal you put in the tank is stainless steel ie bolts, nuts etc. Thus they do not rust. Have a safe and great holiday. cheers jk :thumbup:

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
I might try fishing line too! It's so cold with a wet arm at the moment haha.
Have a great trip :)

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
make sure any metal you put in the tank is stainless steel ie bolts, nuts etc. Thus they do not rust. Have a safe and great holiday. cheers jk :thumbup:
no prob jk, the washers are on the outside of the tank , almost touch the floor.

It worked well for my friend while we were away, and tonight I continued using them . Right , dripping wet arm a pain in the rear, but more important , I don't have to scrub my hands and arms and be sure I rinse all the soap off . Just a good cautionary routine using the fishing line and keeping hands out as much as possible.

Thanks everyone for the responses :)

Psycho

May 20, 2012
Brisbane
I forgot to mention, my tank is 3 feet deep! So it'd be quite an effort attempting to get the fork at the bottom each time! Lol

Cheers,
Shane

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
I forgot to mention, my tank is 3 feet deep! So it'd be quite an effort attempting to get the fork at the bottom each time! Lol

Cheers,
Shane
right, you would need to get your swimsuit on :lol:

I have continued this way of feeding and I like it much better than the hand and arm in there everyday . Appreciate everyones support. :thumbup:

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
I was inspired by this thread and made my own last night too.
I got 8 small red and white plastic fishing floats for $5 from k-mart & tied them to screwcumbers with fishing line.
I don't keep the floats in the water but thought if it does fall in it's easy to retrieve & also easy to see in the dark so I don't have to put the lights on ;)
I love it. So much easier to control where you want the zucchini placed & no wet arm dripping on the new carpet :)

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
I was inspired by this thread and made my own last night too.
I got 8 small red and white plastic fishing floats for $5 from k-mart & tied them to screwcumbers with fishing line.
I don't keep the floats in the water but thought if it does fall in it's easy to retrieve & also easy to see in the dark so I don't have to put the lights on ;)
I love it. So much easier to control where you want the zucchini placed & no wet arm dripping on the new carpet :)
well I began doing this out of necessity --my fishsitter refused to put his hands and arms in the tank , but I too love it and as you said , no more dirpping water on the hard wood floor, even though I have an area rug there, I miss sometimes. This is much better. Glad others found use of it too. Thanks again Lorne for suggesting the correct line and whatnot.