Female pleco bloated!! URGENT

DJ-don

Dec 14, 2009
Canberra Australia
i saw her yesterday with bloat and her bum has gone swollen too. i have a 20 ltire bucket i could use. i have some epsom salts too. how much epsom salts per litre? (for a 20 ltire bucket). plan to do a salt bath

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
tell us a bit more? what type of pleco, how big, is it the only pleco in the tanks? how are any others in the tank? can you get a photo?
what do you feed it?
eg if it is constipation, I am not sure salt bath will do much- he needs laxatives!
if it is dropsy then salt bath is ideal...
it can be diet, infection, gas , several things

DJ-don

Dec 14, 2009
Canberra Australia
thanks for the info doodles. in the end someone gave me the answer of 12.5 grams of epsom salts per 10 litres

i did a bath for 10-15 minutes and saw one little poop. then put her back in to the tank.
i added some driftwood dust for her to ingest so it can help her digestive track

sorry i actually should have said common bn because i was in such a rush.

here are some images they arent great but they are good enough

you can see here her bum has gotten swollen and that her belly area is huge (not even close to gravid)

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
poor thing, hope the salt does the trick
some people try cooked peas with skin removed to help BNs tummies.
I have read that sometimes this can be caused by eating algae wafers with too much protein in them, but a female needs some protein so I dont know.
good luck and tell us how she gets on.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
eg if it is constipation, I am not sure salt bath will do much- he needs laxatives!
epsom salts are a laxative, they work quite well if the cause is constipation but its a very stressful situation for any fish.

DJ-don

Dec 14, 2009
Canberra Australia
Havent seen her in the tank at all today!! i think she might be hiding but if i do find her i plan to do another 10-20 minute epsom salt bath and soon i might be able to get some metro and clout for her. i think she might last another week but i can only hope!!

DJ-don

Dec 14, 2009
Canberra Australia
thoguht i may aswell say the epsom bath must have worked !!
for the first 3 days, 12.5grams per 10 litres epsom bath in a bucket for 20 minutes with air stone and lttle bits of driftwood dust so if she ingests it, it will help her gut bacteria.
she wasnt getting any better so i just decided to let nature take its coarse and now she has gotten a lot better. her belly has gone down!!!