female zeb?????

chappy2358

Apr 8, 2012
leeds
no not from gareth, i got one from gareth and is a definate male. i already had this one and thought it was female but im having doubts now

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
at 3inches a female would have a definate U shape happening...

IMO its a male.... males tend to have larger black striping around the head... odontodes look to be a good size... classic V-shape... and hair forming up on pectorials... only female trait seems to be the eyes are pretty close together....

DiscusDirect

Apr 28, 2012
Rochdale
It is the same fish, you can tell by some of the markings on it... and first pic is definitely a female... the fact that it's dropped so much weight is worrying however... Is it feeding well - if so what on and what is your feeding regime?? What tank mates does the fish have may also be of help...

chappy2358

Apr 8, 2012
leeds
ye im worried about the weight loss. it seems fine in character. it has a mixture of tetra prima, brineshrimp, bloodworm, corguettes. tankmates are forktail rainbows, 3 young zebs, 1 male zeb, 2 L201's and some young l182's. also 8 cory sterbai. dont see it eat often, wonder if cory's not giving it chance

Dane

Apr 28, 2009
Winagte, Co Durham
the last pic you put up is a defo female zebs dont compete for food very well at all ideally you wanna put them in there own tank and fattern her up

Dane

DiscusDirect

Apr 28, 2012
Rochdale
Agree with the above... with background info, the fish is a Female but would strongly suggest going for a species only tank... You could probably get away with the rainbow's in but not much else... Try this and take a photo in a months time... the difference will be quite shocking to you I bet...

Saw this fish a day after it was sold... stunning fish and was quite jealous of the person who got it for the price it went for :D