Fighting Fish

AusPleco

Retired Staff
Oct 1, 2011
Rural NSW
not really tropical per se but i really enjoy watching fighting fish.
these are a few i have owned in the past. I was naive and believed what i was told in regards to keeping them in a barracks with no heater and stuff.

Happy to say that i did extensive research and segmented my AR850 for them to improve their living conditions.

This was Mr Jenkins, he died of disease

This was Mr Bojangles, he was eaten by an axolotyl who was temporarily in the tank (rookie error).

This was George, dont remember how he died i think from disease.

This was lucky. She got her name cause my daughter was holding her in her chinese take away container in the car on way from from fish shop and dropped it on back floor releasing all the water. My fiancee managed to keep her alive in a couple of drops of water.

Excuse poor quality photos but thought i would share

jessonthenet

Oct 16, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
had bettas before, quite graceful. Didn't have a lot of luck with them but are nice to watch.

I wonder what a natural setup would be for them. I know doing a little research that they live in puddles but the puddles are very large and are shallow. It is a myth they can be content in small spaces they adapted to cope with shallow water and high temps but water can be vast. Lack of oxygen due to high temps in shallow water and these puddles are highly planted and water naturally stays filtered so not needing a filter in an non-planted aquarium is wrong too. Small spaces= high waste concentration and no heater is ok if room temp is very stable.

Nice pics.

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
There is a really good German forum <http://joomla.igl-home.de/>, some-where there is an English bit as well.
There is a UK forum as well, but it isn't very busy. <http://www.aagb.org/>

All these little Anabantoids (Gourami, Betta etc) do best in very heavily planted tanks, with fairly shallow water and lots of live food. Personally I don't think there is any problem with having quite powerful filtration, because the plants tend to deflect the water flow and create calm areas. You can tell when a male is happy because he will start building a bubble nest. If you want to condition them, feed them mosquito larvae and they will spawn.

If you want a planting list and decor for any of these, and you don't know whether they are bubble-nesters, cave bubble nester or mouth-brooders, you need a broad leaved plant like (Echinodorus or Cryptocoryne), a fine leaved plant (Cabomba is fine) and 2 floaters, the one you really need is Ceratopteris and the other can be Salvinia, Pistia or Limnobium, but Pistia for preference.

The other things that help in the tank are some dead leaves, ideally quite stiff ones that create natural caves, some 35mm film cases and/or some bamboo caves and an exposed sponge.

cheers Darrel

AusPleco

Retired Staff
Oct 1, 2011
Rural NSW
thanks for nice comments :)

I need to buy more batteries for our camera :), i saved i nice red crown tail who was similar color to Mr Jenkins but he was eaten by an angel fish in a community tank and that was last betta i ever brought :(

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
I bought a betta from LiveFish, He lived in my 5 foot community tank for 3+ years his name was Ralph. & he was a real bewdy..

Thanks for sharing your friends..Love the names too :D