First lda16 ancistrus spawn

Gem400

May 18, 2009
Barnsley,UK
I've just finished moving my 4 ft tank from an upstairs bedroom down to the new fish room, I got the water level quite low before I started moving the fish into buckets, anyway I was removing the decor, bogwood, caves etc and found my male calico BN refused to leave his cave when I tried tipping him out, so I had a look in the cave and bless him he's sat on a bunch of eggs! The spawn is totally unexpected and in typical pleco fashion they waited for the most awkward time to do it, lol.
I didn't have much option to carry on with the move but he's still sat on the eggs and is being a good dad....fingers crossed.
I bought these over a year ago from Julie Thurlow who advised me that they are true Lda16's and are different from common calico bn's. I'll get some pics when I can.

Cheers
Gemma

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
congrats on the spawn and hope he carrys on lookinfg after the eggs.

i once bought a pair of fish from a fellow member on here, when i picked them up the male would not come out the cave for the same reason he had spawned, i drove almost an hour home with the fish, dad still in cave with eggs in a plastic bag then moved them into there new home when i got back. much to my suprisement a few days later i had wrigglers from them. all that moving and messing about and he still looked after the eggs

Gem400

May 18, 2009
Barnsley,UK
Great work Gemma. Which is LDA16? is it like a claro or something? Looking forward to some pics.

Cheers,
Mark.
Hi Mark, they are the red and black bn's, Julie explained the difference between these and piebald common bn's when I got them but I can't remember what she said :wb::wb: I think I need to send her an e-mail.

They have hatched this afternoon and the male is being a good dad to his wrigglers.

Cheers
Gemma

Gem400

May 18, 2009
Barnsley,UK
The fry are out and about and doing well but I've a good proportion of albino fry from this spawn so am I right in thinking they can't be true LDA16's and must be calico commons to carry the albino gene?

Cheers
Gemma