Geo with bloated belly and swollen eyes.

Scrapman53

Apr 21, 2009
Fife Scotland.
I had this about a month ago with one of my females and she eventually died within a couple of days :cry:. I treated her for bloat with epsom salts, but with no success.

Just before that, my other female developed Hith, and was moved to a Q tank for treatment. I used 1 course of Waterlife Octozin and shes been in Q since then with small daily waterchanges. I'm not sure what to try now for the bloated belly and swollen eyes. I'm going out this afternoon, so will get some meds if someone can recomend something.

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
wish i could help pete, but i'd be at a loss too. so sorry that you're having troubles, hopefully someone will have an easy fix answer for you

Scrapman53

Apr 21, 2009
Fife Scotland.
Thanks guys. The only change is that I had started another course of Octozin. This morning I've changed all the water in her tank (water from my main tank) and she's now in a bucket acclimatising to that water as you can't use Octozin with other meds. She's been like that for 1 1/2 days, but she's not at the stage where she can't swim like what happened to the other female. She's been eating Prima, Tetra pro colour crisps, Tetra pro veg crisps, frozen Krill, Earthworm sticks, Tetra Doromin. She was in a different tank to the other female, so I don't think it's came from the one that died.

Scrapman53

Apr 21, 2009
Fife Scotland.
The Octozin treatment was about 3 weeks ago for the Hith. Then a couple of days ago a second treatment was started. It looks similar to Malawi bloat.
I think I'll have to get some Interpet No9 or something from Pets at home as I'm going out in about 10 mins.

Colsha

Nov 6, 2009
Sydney
Iv had a similar problem the last few days. It has been about 3 days now, but my BN seems to be almost back to normal. I quaruantined him as soon as i noticed, he was flaoting to the surface every few minutes he was so bloated, i added a small amount of rock salt, and the next morning all my fish had the same symptons. I had read that scaleless fish were not very tolerant of salt in the water i didnt try epsom baths but i did add a small amount to the Q tank that now contained a BN, two rosy barbs and a pakistani loach. I also raised the temp from 25 to 28 and kept them in the dark. I lost all effected but the loach and the BN. But who knows what i did wrong or right. oh i also added some melafix to the Q tank. Good luck mate, keep us updated.

Last edited:

Scrapman53

Apr 21, 2009
Fife Scotland.
Ok. I had a total nightmare yesterday, including locking myself out of my van :wb::wb::wb:. I managed to get some Interpet No9 today though. I also have Flubenol 15 left, should I add some of that as well?
I've just treated with the No9, so I'll have to wait and see how she gets on. I'm prepared for the worst, so if she makes it, it'll be a bonus.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
You can add fluby with other meds:yes:, so yes i would.

Sorry you had such a nightmare day:(

Hope the geo pulls through

Scrapman53

Apr 21, 2009
Fife Scotland.
Checked her this morning when I got up and she was dead. :wb::wb: She didn't really get any worse looking, but last night she was breathing really fast. Not really sure what to do as I only have 2 males left now. :cry: