geophagus surinamensis?

Stan

Apr 23, 2009
Shenzhen, China
My mate is selling a group of 5 of these beauties due to aggression from his viejas. Does anyone have any experience with these fish? My plan is this, these guys, about 7-10 discus, and a couple wood munchers in my new 220 gallon with loads of wood and sand. Do you forsee any problems or have any concerns?

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
I have geophagus red heads and they are fine with my plecs. but will eat small fish eg cories, tetras , sometimes and will take plec eggs/young.
surinamensis I think are bigger geos? so will eat other small fish. so as long as you dont want to breed the discus??

Stan

Apr 23, 2009
Shenzhen, China
I have geophagus red heads and they are fine with my plecs. but will eat small fish eg cories, tetras , sometimes and will take plec eggs/young.
surinamensis I think are bigger geos? so will eat other small fish. so as long as you dont want to breed the discus??
Yes, they are fairly big average about 5-7" I'm not too worried about breeding the discus my wife wants a mix of colors and types. She also wanted a mix of cardinals and rummys but I think I can convince her that the geos are way cooler:thumbup: How are they with inverts like snails?

Last edited:

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
The true surinamenis are very rare by all accounts, geos are messy eaters and what with the panaque which will constantly poo i would be concerned about the water quality for the discus.

Stan

Apr 23, 2009
Shenzhen, China
The true surinamenis are very rare by all accounts, geos are messy eaters and what with the panaque which will constantly poo i would be concerned about the water quality for the discus.
Good point mate! My wife went to have a look at them today and said they look very beat up so I think I may sit this deal out I wont have the new tank up for at least a week or two and have nowhere to store them in the interim. Better let someone else rescue them from the evil (yet stunning) Viejas.:wb: