Goldspot? Bristlenose ID

GeckoJosh

Aug 6, 2012
Gosford, NSW Australia
Hey guys,
I was sold this as a Goldspot BN but Im not sure as the ones online look quite different, can anyone give me its correct species name and/or "L" number?

Thanks Josh

PlecoMM

May 9, 2012
Perth
No one in Australia knows for sure if the Orange Spot Bristlenose we have here in AU is A. leucosticta, L110 or LDA45/L349 etc. Problem is no one knows where it came from (or even when it entered Australia though there have been guesses as to when it was first seen in fish shops). There are just too many differences in the fish here compared to those which are similar in Aqualog.

The ones I have bred look very similar to L110. They have approx 40-60 fry per batch and the fry are extremely hard to keep alive if your water quality isn't close to perfect.

They breed very similar to most Ancistrus. Cave spawners with a diet of 90%veg.

Try looking up some of those ones and see if it matches to finest details like barbles etc

Hope this helps.

GeckoJosh

Aug 6, 2012
Gosford, NSW Australia
Thanks for that, I had a look at those species and I don't think its them, but then again there are so many inconsistencies with what is called what amongst most keepers.
Its so frustrating as I'd really like to get another which is going to be hard when I don't know what they are called lol

Last edited:

PlecoMM

May 9, 2012
Perth
Exactly, id just call it a os until you find a definate match ill have a look and see if i can help you out:)

PlecoMM

May 9, 2012
Perth
I can only think of l120 i couldnt tell unless i saw it in the flesh do you have a belly mouth area pic

PlecoMM

May 9, 2012
Perth
If its 120 aka 182 these are te colours displayed as they arr yound as they mature they almost look like a spotted bn

Otherwise thats all my knowledge hehe