Guppy fatalaties

AusPleco

Retired Staff
Oct 1, 2011
Rural NSW
I dont know how many people here have guppies, but i seem to have the worst luck with them.

Over 2 days i have lost 6 of my 8 guppies. Majority being female and pregnant, one of them had the bottom hole of her wide open when i found her so i am guessing she died giving birth but the others no clue.

Does anyone else have this issue, as my only concern is if they got some disease they may give it to my peppermints or bn fry

mgr7686

Apr 6, 2012
Brisbane
not too sure sorry. i have had them before and sometimes the females whould die givingbirth but was rare. is the PH ok ? or maybe your pepermints killed them ?

Hopefully you just been unlucky :(

bre

Apr 21, 2009
Newcastle, Australia
It could be anything at this stage. How long have you had them?
Has anything changed in the tank? been added or removed. Anything in the last week?

But honestly, my first thought is cammallanus worms. I know I'm probably jumping the gun, but my first ever encounter with them we had a kingsizei trio. When we removed one of the females that died we couldn't see anything wrong, the next day the male died. When we removed him, he had a rather large hole where his anus should've been. So after reading your description its just my first thought.

bre

Apr 21, 2009
Newcastle, Australia
Yes they can. They are nasty buggers. First thing is first and that is seeing if that is what it is. As I said, I am quite likely jumping the gun with it, but I would rather be safe than sorry. They are usually little red worms sticking out the anus of live fish.

AusPleco

Retired Staff
Oct 1, 2011
Rural NSW
had a look at the 2 guppies remaining and my albino fry but dont see anything like that.
Didnt see anything like that on the dead guppies either.

bre

Apr 21, 2009
Newcastle, Australia
That's good !!

How long have you had the guppies? Anything been added to the tank in the past week ?
Have you done any recent water changes?

AusPleco

Retired Staff
Oct 1, 2011
Rural NSW
Had most of them for about 3-4 weeks, did a big water change on Wednesday when i got back from QLD, only thing that had been added was a week feeder tablet.

AusPleco

Retired Staff
Oct 1, 2011
Rural NSW
One of the guppies in the tank i have had since a fry and he is perfectly fine as is the other male and there is 4 or so guppy fry swimming around in teh tank aswell.

bre

Apr 21, 2009
Newcastle, Australia
it's really hard to say what it is.
The fact that they haven't been in there that long and there is nothing wrong with any of the fish that were in the tank originally, would make you wonder.

Is there any odd behaviour? like not eating, swimming at the very top of the tank, darting around the tank?

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
odd for sure ,but I should say that guppies are getting a bad rap in my neck of the woods. Not sure what is up but think i heard something about so much inbreeding that disease is taking it's toll. Not sure what disease or if it affects plecs, but gotta say i have heard this more than once in my state. I had a look at them outta curiosity last visit to fish store and they did not look as vibrant as i have seen them look 5 yrs ago. Bear in mind, this is only what i know from my area , and i couldnt say if this problem is national/international. If your guppies looked vibrant befofe they passed, i would guess this is not the issue. Hope you can figure it out quickly and the plecs are ok. Please keep us informed.

Georgie

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
i keep guppies in with some peppermints too... and at night big pepps smash guppies if they are sleeping on the deck.... eat small ones and belt up bigger ones... some guppies sleep midwater and at the top but majority sleep on the bottom at night lights out.... peppy party time!!! grubs up!!!

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
agree with Bre n Brenda, could been worms, I'd check pH, I can keep guppies, but found they can pick up most things, bit like kids lol...I use Endlers now, & have no dramas with crooked spines or anything nasty from my soft water either...