H Cochliodon L number?

D-MAC

Jul 24, 2009
Lossiemouth
www.danditropicals.co.uk
I find the L system very confusing at times...When I purchaced my first rusty pleco The L was L077, it then became L310 as stated in PC...Now I am reading my "back to nature guide to L numbers" to find they have it at L137 and don't even list a L310 :dk:
Can anyone explain this?

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
Derek
What Fun the L number system is now?

The system should run like this fish found DATZ get the fish they give it a L number to aid selling.
Fish is described the L Number is dropped and the fish becomes a described Species with a Greek/ Latin name
How it works is fish is found any one who thinks they are a sudo scientist because they have collected a fish gives it any L number they wish.
Fish is then found to be described or a totally different fish and every one gets in to a tizz due to losing the vital Pokemon card from the pack.

If the fish is unsubscribed sadly it is prey to any L Number that any importer or collector wants to give it.
Sorry I cant help.

D-MAC

Jul 24, 2009
Lossiemouth
www.danditropicals.co.uk
Derek
What Fun the L number system is now?

The system should run like this fish found DATZ get the fish they give it a L number to aid selling.
Fish is described the L Number is dropped and the fish becomes a described Species with a Greek/ Latin name
How it works is fish is found any one who thinks they are a sudo scientist because they have collected a fish gives it any L number they wish.
Fish is then found to be described or a totally different fish and every one gets in to a tizz due to losing the vital Pokemon card from the pack.

If the fish is unsubscribed sadly it is prey to any L Number that any importer or collector wants to give it.
Sorry I cant help.
Thanks for reply
I think I will just stick to rusty pleco, lol It's a lot easier

macvsog23

May 1, 2009
Bristol
Indeed
Let us face it that is all the L Number system is now a substitute for common names.

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
Let us face it that is all the L Number system is now a substitute for common names.
I fully agree with this. But despite it's shortcomings, at least it helps put us all on the same page and suffices as a short hand for scientific names.

Derek, if you have the 'Back to Nature' book you may have already read this but it says that Hypostomus sp. paraguay is "by far the most common." And from the book, the main difference between Hypostomus cochliodon and Hypostomus sp. paraguay (Bob, wouldn't an L number been so much easier there? :lol:) is spots.

And is usual for me, whilst writing this response, I found some more information which makes what I've just said irrelevant :clap: But rather than start again, I'll just continue .

I've just scanned through Jonathan Armbruster's paper on the Hypostmus cochliodon group.

"Hypostomus cochliodon can be distinguished from all other members of the H. cochliodon group by its almost entirely brown coloration with ventral half of dorsal plate row and dorsal half of supramedian plate row slightly lighter than lower rows form- ing a tan stripe, and spots, when present, small and widely placed (vs. spots usually well- developed and closely placed). Unlike most other members of the H. cochliodon group, H. cochliodon can also be entirely dark brown with no spots anywhere on the body (other members of the H. cochliodon group may be very dark, but will retain spots on fins or the abdomen)."

Well anyway, here's mine, which is probably now Hypostomus cochliodon (which has spots on it's dorsal fin).

Derek, I seem to remember you like this group of fish, PM your email and I'll send you a copy of the paper.

macvsog23

May 1, 2009
Bristol
As every one who visits this site will be aware my dispute is not with the L Number system more with they way it is seen as some sort of holy grail by people Sadly L Numbers are treated as described species by some people.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
I still think that the L system is at least a starting point for all. There are always new Ls found, more dots, less dots, more squiggles, brighter etc etc etc, but at least it starts us off. cheers jk :thumbup: