had 2/333 1 died which i thought was female

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
I would guess male. I say guess as hypans always seem to be hard to sex when non adults.
Going on the body shape I just cannot imagine that girth swelling to breeding female status, although it could if you fed it up a bit more, its not overweight by any means.

I see the side whiskers looking quite long and thinking male but then later on you can get females with that too.

The upsidedown shot, the white around the anus is looking very much like a V and not an arc so that points to male, although that shape can sometimes change later on too.

The side shot, from the eyes to the base of the dorsal looks quite flat and that is usually male. Females do tend to have a bit of a rise there, maybe from the eyes being set higher on the head than the males.

The nose shape isnt quite the spade V of a male yet but looks more that ways than a nice soft rounded nose with a pukey mouth in front.

The plec fins dont seem to have much hair at all and even females usually develop just a little bit.

Best idea is keep the water perameters good and feed it up. Don't be frightened to add a bit of skinny cucumber sometimes as L333 do sometimes have a real craze for it.

Base food for mine is always Hikari algae wafers. They do get more meaty stuff but the base is always the algae wafers whether they like it or not, its good for em.

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
nice descriptive explanation bren... :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

i like the thickness on the outer ray of the pectorial fins being the sealer in my decision on it being a male..... :yes:

berwickdave

Jan 14, 2011
berwick melbourne
hahahhaha yep every lol i got 2/270 i preety sure both male but more i look more 1 looks female gunna stop looking lo lol more wishfull thinking and i think 333/male but i keep asking john lol sorry big man