Help! Cory caught in net!

fishmomma

Jan 13, 2012
CT, USA
I noticed when I got home that one of my bronze corys had a bit of "pop eye" in both eyes. I scooped him up and put him in my QT tank and dosed with the twin fixes. Unfortunately, in the process of catching the pop eye cory, I caught one of my Ambiacus(i think) corys in the net first, and he got one of his fins tangled in the net. I kept him under water and tried to let him free him self. Still stuck so I tried to free him myself, GENTLY, to no avail:cry: so I grabbed my tiny scissors and CAREFULLY cut the net around his fin. He still has a small amount of net around his fin. What should I do? Should I catch him again and try to get the net off? or just keep an eye on him? I put some melafix in the tank just in case he injured himself. Should I add Pimafix too? I feel so bad for my little cory! He seems to be getting around just fine with the net wrapped around his fin but it can't be good to just leave it there. Help please!

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
hi there,
i done this myself a while back and also used a small pair of scissors to cut him free. I left him because i would , in my case cause futher damage. Because it wasnt in flesh as such it didnt seem to cause him bother.
hope some others can help you out.
did you say you was already dosing with fix it twins?
How far gone is the pop eye?
Have to wonder if the pop eye is far gone...would it be worth it anyway to try and remove it?

hope some other peps on here can help
cc

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
keep an eye on him.
if he flicks a lot or it looks red then you may need to catch and try tweezers.
pop-eye is hard to cure and some say it happens when water quality is not at its best, so it may be worth increasing your water change frequency? it can also happen in in-bred stock I believe.
good luck

fishmomma

Jan 13, 2012
CT, USA
thanks for the replys! I"ll keep an eye on him. Seemed fine thie morning and hes still eating and swimming well. The cory with the popeye is not the same cory that got caught in the net. The Cory with popeye was moved to my QT tank and dosed with the twin fixes. The cory that got his fin caught is still in the main tank(55 gallon)

Currently I'm doing two 20-30% water changes a week.
Ammonia-0
Nitrites-0
Nitrates-5
PH-6.6
temp 77*F