HELP- DIY stand/aquarium help needed!

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
Hi guys and girls

As mentioned in my other threads i am on a journey of creating a large pleco tank but i need some help/ advice.

I have done a sketch of the tank/stand/sump/display tank that i need to create. The problems i am having is....
1. where to buya stand?
2. If i cant buy a two teir stand this size...how do i make it? (wood size, joint types etc)
3. where to buy the tank from!(not to meany problems!)

Apologies for the poor perspective!!

My partner said she will make the stand is needed but won't do it unless their is a metal stand taking the weight of the main tank.

So hope you can see what i mean>!>!

I have designed a sump as well that i will post late for some advice!

Cheers guys and girls hope you cant help.

P.s I have done a google search and come up with one uk company that make metal tank stands but the maximum size is 48 x 15 x 18 inch.....

cole:wb:

Attachments

Zebra Pleco

Retired Staff
Nov 18, 2010
Gardenstown, NE Scotland
www.zebra-plec.com
A stand like that can be made from 20 or 25mm metal box aluminum. I would take your design to a local blacksmith / welder and see if they could construct it for you.

The metal box section is not too expensive, it is just the cutting, welding and then painting afterwards thats the expensive and time consuming part. But if you could give the metalsmith the exact measurements, or have the metal cut yourself, it will all save money.

Last edited:

rpp1973

Apr 26, 2009
Stroud (Gloucestershire)
Im a little confused by how many tanks ther will be? 3 or 4? any fabrication welder should be able to do this for you. no idea how much it will cost though. keep us updated how you get on.

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
Cheers guys-good plan , its three tanks and the black box is the stand. My dad can cut the metal so that will cut the cost a bit. . . Will keep you up to date. Thanks again.

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
cheers for the moral support Z, worry about the tank falling off and 500litres spilling ev3 where. Cutting the cost even more the wife is fantastic at woodwork so is making the stand!

I'm showing the design to a couple people next weeks..fingers crossed it wont cost me an arm a leg... i only have one spare!

Cheers again.....
Cole