help for my Pleco?

hogson

May 24, 2010
uk
hi,

i have recently bought a snow drop pleco about 3", but all he seems to doo is jst rest on the bottom of the tank, is this normal for them to do this? maybe he's shy?
the tank i use is about 70L, the temp is 27 degrees.

any help?

Thanks
Hogson

Last edited:

hogson

May 24, 2010
uk
well i had a tank a few years ago and had one then which was fine and grew to a reasonable size, but had to give it away as was moving house. And from what i remember he was fine.

Although i have only had this pleco for a few days, is it unusual for it to be hiding all the time?

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
its perfectly normal for them to hide away, they are pretty much nocturnal but can become more active during the day once they have settled in

hogson

May 24, 2010
uk
Well thanks, i suppose i will see how his progress goes and if an problems will keep you updated.

hogson

May 24, 2010
uk
Also, his fin on his back always seems to be down?
is this a problem (can tell im a beginner at this) :)

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
i wouldn't be overly worried about him having his fin down, it could be significant if he has all of his fins clamped together, but i'd guess that yours is just feeling a little stressed and insecure at the mo, they can take weeks to settle in properly

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Don't spose you can get a photo of him?
Some plecs are quite fussy about water parameters.

Also is the plec eating yet?

hogson

May 24, 2010
uk
yes i supose, he hasent been in there long, but ive noticed when i turn the light off he starts moving, but im not too sure if he is eating but i put a few algae wafers in last night and they were not there in the morning so i guess he he (or it may be that my other fish eat them.

And well im not to sure how to put a attachment on, but here is a picture on my facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?pid=5451205&op=1&view=all&subj=692325346&id=622533133

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
:hi:
Don't think you have photos open for viewing on facebook unless a friend.

You could join the plecoplanet facebook page here

http://www.facebook.com/Plecoplanet

add the photo as a fan photo

or use the gallery on here

http://www.plecoplanet.com/forum/photoplog/index.php

once you add a photo to the gallery, you can insert into post by clicking the images link under the smilie box when using advanced reply.

lol hope all this makes sense

hogson

May 24, 2010
uk
i think i should leave him a week or too and see how he progresses. he seems to be okay. and i wouldent say his breathing was eratic either.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
good, he is probably just getting used to a new environment and new water parameters.
(what temp and ph is the water?)
just keep an eye for any sign of illness (red patches/fin rot/fungus/etc) but if skin looks ok and he moves at night I expect there is nothing to worry about

hogson

May 24, 2010
uk
well my main concern is that he starves, ive neva seen him eat i dont think, hez been layed ontop of a algae wafer, also i put in a bit of cucumber last nite before lightes out, and in the morning it dident seem to have been touched, the alge wafers do go but i know that some of my other fish try and eat them too.

but on the other hand he does seem more lively, like hes sticking to the glass and mooving around more....

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Next time he is on the glass, have a look at his tummy. It needs to be flat or rounded and not look like its sunken in.