help ID this pleco please

jenste

Nov 23, 2010
Rhode Island
Greetings all,

I am a member to a few fish and frog forums...
most of my experience is in keeping and breeding african clawed frogs, and keeping coldwater goldfish setups and tropical set ups. I have only owned bristle nose plecos in the past before.

but now I am the owner of a few abandoned plecs and need some help IDing them

* a coworker quite literally dropped them on my desk today, stating they had outgrown her 5 gallon (shakes head)

I have a 72 gallon and would be comfortable introducing them into if if they are a species I can keep - I don't like the idea of "keeping fish until they grow to big then trading them in"

they are about 3.5" length. one lighter, one darker but they seem to have the same markings.

also, is there a way I can sex them?

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
i'd have to agree with matt, they look like panaque maccus to me, which would mean they would be fully grown, and possibly a pair too

jenste

Nov 23, 2010
Rhode Island
hmm :huh:

they are in the tank now and hiding (as I heard they are known to do) so next time they are out I will take a look to see if one is "hairier" than the other...

jenste

Nov 23, 2010
Rhode Island
do either of mine look "hairy" in the pics I posted - - I thought the lighter one may have looked so...

of course they are hiding up underneath a piece of driftwood right now so I can't see them clearly

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
nice rescue

great ! you rescued some plecs and got a pair :clap: perhaps you will be rewarded with ''little ones'' once they settle in :yes: lotts of luck , Georgie