Help me sex 6 L333s

axle

Sep 4, 2009
Perth Australia
Hi all Ive had these beauties for a couple of years now. They range from 6.5-9.5cm. I think the 2 smallest have a bit of growing to do before they can be sexed properly but lets see what you think. None of them are noticably hairy.
Fish 1 is 9.5cm
Fish 2 is 6.5cm
Fish 3 is 9cm
Fish 4 is 8.5cm
Fish 5 is 6.5cm
Fish 6 is 7.5cm
And all fish were measured with a ruler, no guesswork.
Sorry there are no vent shots, the camera wasnt cooperating at close range.

Attachments

axle

Sep 4, 2009
Perth Australia
wow that was quick Brenda. I spose having more girls than boys isnt a bad problem to have. Yeah if that is a male, he certainly has some maturing to do.
With the 333s, other than overall shape should I be looking for mainly hairy pec fins or do they also get a hairy bum?

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
yup males get hairy bum, bit of hair of pec fins but so will females.

Have a look at their gill whiskers from the side. Males will usually grow a couple of long ones in amongst the rest while females have all shortish ones.

foti

Apr 20, 2010
Sydney AUS 2206
Ild trust Brengun but from what I first saw I'm thinking 3 pairs?
2,5,6 males ?
But it was a quick check of body shape didn't look at head fins or tail hair
Good luck with them

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
i would second Brenguns suggestions. Maybe fatten them up a bit. good luck and nice pick up indeed as females are harder to get. Lucky male although he will be very tired when he gets larger and older with his harem of wifes lol cheers jk :thumbup:

axle

Sep 4, 2009
Perth Australia
Oh well its promising that I have atleast a couple of females, Maybe even a couple of trios. Ill find an older male 333 locally and put him with my best two females and see what happens. Might improve my chances of different bloodline too. The six in the pics came from two different sellers a couple of years ago. As for fattening them up, they won't have to compete for food as much now......there are only a handful of young 201s in with them at the moment. Oh and some endlers.

axle

Sep 4, 2009
Perth Australia
You might be waiting a little while for fry. I think number 2 might be the only male.
Actually no. No fry yet but eggs anyway.
I introduced the new 4 to the tank and now a small male from original six pics is fanning a nice little clutch. Lets see what happens and whether he is a good dad. To be honest he looks too damn small.:woohoo:

axle

Sep 4, 2009
Perth Australia
Well he had what looked to be a male trapped for a couple of days. I ended up releasing both from the cave for there own good. I just checked again and the little bloke was fanning a clump of eggs again. I pinched em this time and we will see if I can get a few healthy fry.

axle

Sep 4, 2009
Perth Australia
Bad news for me. The eggs are definately infertile. They havnt fungused as such but they have turned from orange to clear. Another wierd thing to happen with the eggs was about day 2. The eggs were in a tight clump as usual then when I checked them later the same day they had all broken into individual eggs. No two eggs were stuck together. Very wierd in my experience. Anyone else had this happen?

Ill leave him to his duties next time I think. Ive moved on a couple of males for a bit less agro and we will see what happens next spawn. Atleast I know I have a couple of females in there.<3

36 eggs were counted.