Help required

L397

Jan 15, 2013
Sydney
L333 Pepps

I need some help from some of you in reguards to why my eggs keep falling to fungas,
They are usually ok till a couple of days before hatching then they get covered in fungas,
This is happening with my L333's and Pepps
My last three batches of L333's eggs have been lost.
My Pepps also only having approx 20% hatch rate.
This happens if I leave them in cave or I remove and put them in tumbler.
Ph approx 6.8, temp 28c.
Becoming very frustrated.
Last year in same tank I was getting almost 100% hatch rate from other Pepp trio every month.
Not sure if something wrong with water or a bacteria or something.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
That could be whats happening with mine atm. I certainly don't seem to have the numbers hatching that I had before. One day dad has a heap and a few days later out comes only a few fry.
I am thinking perhaps my purigen/macropore bags in the cansiters are almost spent and need replacing? Just need to remember where I put the bottle.

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
most of these fish are sensitive to ammonia... even small amounts...

i see your ph is 6.8

whats your kh and gh like ?

i have found acidic water doesnt give me the same results as alkaline water does.... have found neutral ph of 7 - 7.4 gives me best results... but if your kh is low and if it runs out then you will experience slight ammonia rise and ph crash until you do your next water change... tap water generally has 4 degrees of kh and after a water change tops up your kh value in your tank but it will still be low estimating 1-2 degrees... enough to reboot your beneficial bacteria into consuming ammonia,nitrite... and to restabilize your ph....
all living things consume carbonates(kh) in your tank and its important to maintain kh in your tank to maintain a healthy environment for your fish...

can you test kh to see what you have :)

sometimes varying levels of kh are experienced in tap water... we had kh of 4 for years and years then it dropped to 1-2 for several months - causing havoc on lots of peoples tanks especially those with high bioloads on them... now it has returned to kh of 4.... many people lost fish because of it and many others had all sorts of problems related to ammonia and ph crashing and fish stress related issues began as well...

it may not be the problem - but it would be good to eliminate it from the equation....
then we can look at other possibilities... :)