help sexing L007

morenita

Oct 30, 2010
melbourne, victoria
Hi,

Need help with sexing my Vampire Plec. I've had it since it was 3cm. 2 years later, it's now around 11cm. Just curious what the sex of it is. I might just get it a boy/girl friend

[ame="http://s429.photobucket.com/user/djtr3s/media/photo2_zps4b3bc519.jpg.html"]photo2_zps4b3bc519.jpg Photo by djtr3s | Photobucket[/ame]

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
looks like it needs a decent feed... got no idea on sex of the fish... these can be difficult as a single fish... with multiple fish you can see subtle differences which gives you much better chance of sexing them successfully....

males i have grown up reached 13-14cm in 2 years but im not sure how well this fish has been fed for 2 years for me to say its a slow growing male or just a female...

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
agree, hard to judge. you will need 2 or more to compare, as each have different traits and only then can one try to tell the difference. Good luck cheers jk :thumbup:

morenita

Oct 30, 2010
melbourne, victoria
Thanks guys. It's not underfed or anything. The last few weeks it was really fat and round. Looked like it was ready to explode. It's not exactly 2 years old. It's close to that. Not specifically sure