Hikari Seaweed Extreme for Plecos?

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
This might be a problem:
"Hikari Seaweed Extreme absorbs water quickly and takes on a soft texture similar to wet Nori Algae, making it difficult to remove any uneaten food. For this reason, to avoid over-feeding we recommend feeding small amounts until you find the ideal amount for your mix of fish"

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
Thanks, Lorne, I didn't spot that but I think that's something you'd have to try to see if it's a problem. Do you think theres a reason why freshwater fish can't be fed a marine food?

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
I think people already do it. Can't think of anything right off except maybe sodium levels and/or other trace minerals in elevated, for freshwater, quantities. Seaweeds are typically high in iodine but I'm not sure what that'd do to freshwater species.

Jackson

Jan 14, 2011
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I know people use human grade algaes for their fish. The stuff is not cheap.

I personally will not use hikari foods when feeding my plecos.

Their cichlid pellets aren't bad.

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
I've bought a packet of the pellets, so I'll see how they go. They sound a little too good to be true, but I hope they aren't. It states "Contains 67% natural seaweed," so unless I'm having a massive brain fart, the pellets are comprised of 67% seaweed and 33% other stuff, right?

My current 'algae' based food only states it contains 6% spirulina.

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
Keep us up to date Matuba, like you observed the percentages seem amazingly different.its an excellent point Lorne said about amounts but the great thing would be you would only have to get them to take amount six times less the amount that you are currently feeding. . . If my brain is working properly-which out often doesn't. Lol
Look forward to your updates
Cc