hmmm what would you do...

charles101

May 3, 2009
worcestershire
last christmas my mum bought me a D+D nano cube for christmas.
the hope was to have a nano marine tank, and still would love one, however, the tank has stood there bare for nearly a year now as have had a few money troubles the past year and just have not afforded the fork out on marines.
so i was thinking having it as a plec breeding tank as i pretty much have the kit to set this up, will just have to buy plecs. so what would you guys do and more importantly what plecs would you have? it is 100L tank. :)

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
100L, thats a pretty big nano tank lol.

For breeding, i personally would get hold of some LDA25 pitbull plecs, they are fairly small and not too difficult to breed.

without plecs, i would plant it out, have co2, the works.

Just like Im going to do with my 30L nano soon.

charles101

May 3, 2009
worcestershire
hmmmm yes i was also considering a planted tank as i have dry ferts and a c02 system, but ideally would like to attempt a breeding tank. would it be too small for a group of say hypans or 169? besides my love for plecs do out weigh my love for plants, although planted tanks are beatifull. i do like all plecs but ideally would prefer to keep something a little more "pretty" (even though of course pit bulls plecs are :)), any suggestions?

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
The Hypan guys would be best to advise on what would be suitable, so ill leave that to them.

garfieldnfish

Oct 7, 2009
Acworth, GA
100 l is about 30 gal, right?
That sounds perfect for L134s. They are not too hard to breed, it's easy to get a pair or two as they can be sexed without too much trouble. They are pretty and considerably hardy. They will not bother plants. Mine bred in a planted tank.
Or 201s, L174s, L333s .... there are a number of small plecos. It depends on what's available in your area and how much you are willing to spend.

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
cheers, i like the sound of 134's will have to do my research as i have quite hard water, not liquid concrete lol but hard non the less.
With hard water you'll probably have to stick with something along the lines of Common BNs (even this isn't ideal though) if you're hoping for breeding activity. Most other plecs are probably too close to wild-caught to have much success with in hard water.

Do you know what your water hardness is?