How do you kill your snails?

fishmomma

Jan 13, 2012
CT, USA
So I'm working on getting rid of some tadpole snails that just popped up in my tank. Not many just about 6-7. I know most of you are probably going to roll your eyes but is there a humane way to kill them? I can't bare the thought of salting them, smushing them, or just throwing them in the garbage...I really hate to kill anything. Any thoughts?

Ike

Nov 9, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I'm not sure if these are available in your area but have you thought of using a couple of assassin snails? Loaches will work too but they grow large and are semi-aggressive imo.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
juts make sure you do not use them withthe gin tonic or rum and coke later :lol:
make sure when you give them the royal flush to salute as well.
cheers jk :thumbup:

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
i used to bring them back to a highly disliked lfs, they have a snail only tank, but i'm guessin they feed um to the clown loaches :dk:
Just keep your eye on lookin for eggs, looks like snot ,can be floating or attached to something...easy to get rid of.

they usually come in on plants , so if the plants are hardy, you can give um a bleach dip, 10%bleach, 90% water, timer on for exactly 90 seconds ,and then a real good rinse , till ya cant smell the bleach anymore. No snails . I know you said you cant stand actually killing them, but when they hitchhike in on plants, you dont usually see them,so its easier.

jk, sounds like you really hate snails and find gratification in doing them in... wish i had your ,well not YOUR balls, yrs ago when my tank had them.( You guys know what i mean). Jeez, i was trapping them in a small glass jar with bait , then dumping um off at the lfs,,,how rediculous it seems now. Glad i heard about the bleach dip since then.

Georgie

AusPleco

Retired Staff
Oct 1, 2011
Rural NSW
Sorry to go in another direction but i didnt want to create another topic for similar problem.
I am soon wanting to transfer my subwassertang which is healthy and attached to driftwood to my new shrimptank however the tank in question has a ramshorn snail problem atleast i think its them.

What would be the best way to treat the moss without causing damage?