how many breeds of corydoras are in australia

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
wow, there are heaps. I have had adolfi, sterbai, agasizzi, Leopardis, bronze and peppers. rare are the lazers i think. cheers jk :thumbup:

Fusco

May 20, 2009
Perth Western Australia
i have Sterbai , Pandas, Brochis splendens, Super shwartz, Trilineatus, Green lazers and Orange lazers

and yes you do have to watch what you put with what cross breeding will happen
mind you most of the corys will take a while to be sexually mature
but to be on the safe side any cory similar to another is a no no
eg Sterbai and Trilineatus or Green lazer and orange lazer etc

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
tyype of black cory- they tend to have differewnt names.
They are pricey, in gerneral some are because some are very hard to breed. Keep an eye on mix/interbreeding as stated. What I did, is put just one type of corey in each of my 8 tanks. The bugger was that in the tanks were also Ls, and to later catch the fry was a bugger. So I suggest to all a mop, this most of the time is used by Corys to lay eggs. Remove in own tank, with same water etc and grow out seperate. cheers jk :thumbup:

KillieOrCory

Dec 3, 2012
Canberra Australia
Good to see there are others in Australia also interested in Corydoras.

There are quite a lot of species in Australia at any one time. At the moment I am building my collection.

I currently, have the following;

aeneus, aeneus albino, atropersonatus, axelrodi, loretoensis, agassizii, reticulatus, weitzmanni, aeneus/schultzi 'black' venezuelanus, trilineatus, gold laser, schwartzii, sterbai, sterbai albino, arcuatus, melanistius, davidsandsi, panda, oiapoquensis, septentrionalis, zygatus, diphyes, paleatus, virginiae, habrosus, pygmaeus, gossei, adolfoi, duplicareus.

Also have Brochis splendens.

Hopefully picking up caudimaculatus, similis, rabauti, melanotenia and hastatus this weekend.

There others in Australia who have way more than this, though this gives you and idea of what is available.

Cheers,
Serkan

Last edited:

foti

Apr 20, 2010
Sydney AUS 2206
Oh there is heaps where able to get all of them as far as I know
I have
Cwo09 green laser
C048
Albino
Sterbai

The standard cories albino, sterbai, peppered, bronze, panda
Then the next common imports mass
Albino sterbai cory, julii
Everything else is rare shops don't tend to keep heaps and if they have a range there top dollar

Just my opinion

KillieOrCory

Dec 3, 2012
Canberra Australia
nice collection. do you breed them?
Cheers :thumbup: Love my corys. Building the collection at the moment after a bit of a break from keeping corys, so I am growing the groups hoping to be able to breed most if not all of them.

Currently have fry of; Brochis splendens, Corys: septentrionalis, trilineatus, paleatus and sterbai.

Fingers crossed for the rest.

foxpuppet

Feb 12, 2011
Sydney, Upper North Shore
I keep hastatus, habrosis & pygmaeus all together in a community planted.
Had sterbai for a long time and then sold the colony after many years of successful breeding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk