How to feed bottom dwellers, but not greedy fish??

Secuono

Jul 3, 2010
Va
So my dim discus decided to hunt out and stuff himself on wafers like a holiday turkey. He's floating around, bloated, pooping, added salt, he should make it if he keeps on pooping.

Anyway, I need to find a better way to feed plecos and corydoras. Night time feeding is clearly not good enough, nor safe what-so-ever.

In the tank are six discus, two 2-3in plecos and 6 green cory cats. Heavily planted and two large cichlid stones. I can't use the stones because the discus love to go into them and check them out. Hiding wafers behind wood and thick plants also doesn't work.

What do you guys use if midnight feeding and general hiding of foods doesn't work?

I'm thinking of getting long sections of pvc and putting the wafer in there, but that will cause fights between the plecos and the cories beat each other up trying to get at the food. So maybe find a large concave wood to put wafers under and tie plants to the top of it??

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
I was always under the impression that night time feeding works, as discuss do not feed at night. The choice however as you mentioned does not go well so as you stated, you will have to get rid of discus or plecos, but that choice is yours. If that is a photo of your pleco, it does get very large so think about it. good luck cheers jk :thumbup:

Last edited:

Secuono

Jul 3, 2010
Va
Not getting rid of either.
Two clown plecos and 6 green/emerald green cories.

Pictured fish (in signature?) is long gone.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
very good fish you have well done. my tank is still cycling so in 5-7days it should be fine and set and then I will bring my other fish cheers jk :thumbup:

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
humm, I am having the same problem. The fish I now have are always picking on everything all day -- and I feed them 6 days in a row--one day to chill. But when I feed the veggie with protien sticks in them to the L264 and a plain slice of zucchini to the farlowella, the angel fish and dwarf rainbows go for anything, even when lights out. I am concerned the Sultan is getting ripped off . I use a food clip, make a few slices in the side of the veggie and sitck 2 sticks in ,all the way so they can't be seen by the fish, and lower it near his hidey place with fishing line. The farlowella gets his stuck high up on the glass, but I have tried other places , including lowering it to the gravel. In the morning, it looks like the angels most likely, dug through the top of the zucchini to get the sticks , but some vege has been eaten as well. I can't tell who is eating it .

So I got the same problem and will watch this thread for ideas.

I have 1 male bosemani rainbow and 2 females/ 2 praecox rainbows with 4 more in the q-tank/2 angel fish/7 rummynose tetra/a farlowella and an L264 which I am traing to eat veggies as well as the protien sticks to prevent bloat. Any advice appreciated

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
any ideas besides separating them, I can't. :dk: :dk:

ps--sorry for highjacking your thread , but have same problem

Last edited:

vampire

Oct 27, 2014
Canberra Australia
You could feed them cucumber or sweet potato . I doubt the discus will be interested in that . Get some caves and put the wafers inside as long as you have enough caves you will be ok . My peppermints live with some very piggish severums and they grow well. I have a tangle of wood and caves in the centre of my tank and the severums and angels just can't get in there