ich on plecos

Jan 23, 2010
Gillette wyo
i have ich in a tank with plecos in it. the one im most worried about is the bue panaque but there is a clown and 2 bn also in thetank. how do i treat for ich without using salt? i need help fast!

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
first thing to do is oncrease the temperatures as high as you can safely go, but remember to increase the O2 too as warmer water holds less disolved O2, this should start to kill off the ich (speed up their life cycle) but you may need to add some meds too, i'm not sure which are the best meds in the US, sorry

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
In regards to the thread on PF--if you want to know if its velvet, shine a torch on the fish when all the lights are out as the Oodinium is more visible.

Coppersafe treats both anyway. Salt and higher temps alone don't always work as parasites are becoming resistant to both, velvet is more resistant than ich.

Let us know how it goes

Jan 23, 2010
Gillette wyo
thats what i was kinda worried about, either velvet OR salt and heat not bieng enough to kill it off. the fish i have left now are all ones that i think will be ok with coppersafe so im pretty sure thats whati might try

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Copper can be effective but it can also be tought to use. It can get absorbed in driftwood & other decor to be later released & continue to cause problems. Plecs can be sensetive to copper as well.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
How much salt did you add?
Did you increase aeration?
What temp did you raise to?
How many days have you been using the coppersafe?

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
The temp should be higher if you are relying on heat and salt imo

Where did you get the salt dosage from?

blondeyny

Mar 21, 2010
FL
I'm going through the same issue right now with 8 dwarf platies (4 of which are juvies) and a albino bn. I am using Kordon Ich Attack. Supposed to be 100% natural and safe for plants etc. I'm on day #2.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
its awful when they get ich! some strains are more resistant to meds than others.
good luck, let us know how you get on.

after I had a bad attack I put uv in most of my tanks when i discovered you can get them built into internal filters cos easier than plumbing the big exteral ones (I have a big vecton on my largest tank). dont know if it helps but had no illness (but did have tank wipeout from ph crash - so still have to be vigilant against disaster)