ID confirmation for L137/037

pinkspider

Apr 14, 2011
Norwich, England
www.scruffy-dog.net
I was sold a supposed L137 (Rusty) at my LFS today, but I got the fish home only to have a proper look at it and think "What the heck??"

I'm not great with my L-numbers, but this little chap just doesn't look right for what was meant to have been sold to me:

Sorry about the terrible photo..not very helpful I know, but he'd literally just entered the tank and was a bit confused.

I will try and get some better identifying pictures soon, but he's only a small chap of around 2 1/2" at the moment, in a large tank!

Any ideas what he is or isn't? He looks bog-standard to me.

While on the subject, I was also sold a few more fish in the same transaction, 3 of which were meant to be Banjo Cats, but one has turned out to be a Tiger Plec!!:

I have no idea what's going on really!

Many thanks,

Alys

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
The first (unless you have a huge tank) should be taken back to the lfs and get a refund for being mis-sold a rusty, its actually a common plec L.Pardalis which can grow very large, very quick. Im unsure of the second but certainly not a banjo, looks like it could be an LDA01.

meloizias

Mar 23, 2011
Cobham
Yeah i would take it back straight away. That is problem with plecs being miss sold in LFS, common plecs get mis sold alot and people get surprised when they reach 15" ! :D

pinkspider

Apr 14, 2011
Norwich, England
www.scruffy-dog.net
I've taken the little fella back and had to explain that there are in fact more than one type of Plec! Now replaced by the manager with a Clown Plec and a Swordtail (for no apparent reason!).

Thanks for the help guys :) Like I said originally, thought it was bog standard and just needed more experienced keepers to confirm.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
maybe next time take a photo in the lfs and put on the forum and ask. Most LFS will hold fish. cheers jk :thumbup:

C8lyn

Aug 3, 2010
Toowoomba, Qld
Your "Tiger" looks more like a L397 to me. I have two tigers and they are nowhere near that bright in colour. More piccies of the little guy would help.

pinkspider

Apr 14, 2011
Norwich, England
www.scruffy-dog.net
JK - good thinking. I've always had a good experience with the LFS before and tbh, I think the problem wouldn't have arisen if I'd had my glasses with me (blind as a bat without them!).

Will get some more pictures of the Tiger/L397 at feeding time today.

All this help is much appreciated!

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
Lovely blue eyes.....Not 100% but it could be more than a rusty. Blue eye red fin, didnt think rustys have blue eyes.