L-ko

Global Moderators
Staff member
Oct 15, 2010
Weimar, Germany
www.welsfans.de
Hi,

L397 is a Panaqolus.

Please make a good picture of the teath or compare https://www.suedamerikafans.de/en/?page_id=784&familie=1&unterfamilie=100
The teeth/jaws of Panaqolus and Hypancistrus are very different.
The differentiation based on the teeth is very easy. You should be able to do that too.

Then take very good pictures of the side, including the caudal fin.
If it's a Panaqolus, also get a very good picture of the head from above.

Greetings
Elko

Justme

May 12, 2020
Melbourne
Hi,

L397 is a Panaqolus.

Please make a good picture of the teath or compare https://www.suedamerikafans.de/en/?page_id=784&familie=1&unterfamilie=100
The teeth/jaws of Panaqolus and Hypancistrus are very different.
The differentiation based on the teeth is very easy. You should be able to do that too.

Then take very good pictures of the side, including the caudal fin.
If it's a Panaqolus, also get a very good picture of the head from above.

Greetings
Elko
Elmo great link here is a photo of the mouth , thinking l226 now.

Attachments

Justme

May 12, 2020
Melbourne
ELko

Are you on any pleco groups on Facebook.?
here we have had much discussion regarding them.
sold as 397, thought to be L002/74, or maybe a hybrid. But this is hard in australia due to import restrictions.
There I can post videos and multiple photos. The belly pattern has thrown me. I know there are throwback with the breeding but to have them with a a few different patterns was weird.
I have a L333 colony that Bred and throw asome yellows depending on the male. But I also have a male that is nearly fully black. Which I will start to breed with to se what they throw.

L-ko

Global Moderators
Staff member
Oct 15, 2010
Weimar, Germany
www.welsfans.de
Hi,

occasionally I am in various groups in fb. But that's too much advertising for me.
Every animal is an individual, there are also natural hybrids and not every species / form has an L-number. If you've already recognized this form.

In Hypancistrus it's very crass. How many forms of Hypancistrus are from the Xingu? But there will only be three or four species.
I have two groups of L450. One in the basement, one in the study. The ones in the study look like you know from pictures. The ones in the basement are gray to dark gray, with almost no pattern. Nobody would believe that the fishes have the same parents. It must be due to the different lighting conditions.

Greetings
Elko