id help please.

wayne

Sep 10, 2009
nottingham
i thought they was as a i have a breeding group of them but some people on other sites said they are L411 and some say L260 was just making sure thanks.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Theres some extra info here.

L-411 was previously commonly seen on the markets listed as L-260. However, by virtue of its larger size and distinct patterning, it was quickly asserted to be a different fish, known later as an animal hailing from the monte dourado region of the Rio Jari. A fairly hefty fish, reaching ~5”, it is distinguished from other similar sized animals, save perhaps L-66, by its complex networked patterning. It is also bulkier, then most comparable hypancistrus, with a thick profile throughout. Its regularly faded coloration is also quite distinct. Still, it is regularly portrayed as L-260, due to very similar striping on the major fins. However, the vermiculations are finer and more concentrated in L-411, and as aforementioned, it does not maintain as consistent of a dark base color as L-260. Very young, less striped individuals still bear a shocking resemblance to L-260, so do bear that in mind-hoever, the faded appearance begins to show at around 3 weeks or so, so there really shouldn't be any confusion.**
Taken from Identification of Hypancistrus written by cup and Yann Fulliquet

http://plecoplanet.com/?page_id=571

wayne

Sep 10, 2009
nottingham
i have both Baryancistrus demantoides and Hemiancistrus subviridis which ones was you after? i will put some pics up on on a new thread.