Import of plecos to Ausralia?

L-ko

Global Moderators
Staff member
Oct 15, 2010
Weimar, Germany
www.welsfans.de
Hi,

A friend asks me if you can import plecos to Australia? The question is purely informative, he does not intend to.
Could you please tell us how this is regulated in Australia?

Greetings
Elko

Reactions: johnbetta397

johnbetta397

Feb 26, 2023
it can be done but can be tricky doing so as some plecos have been put on the no inport list from brazil due to lack of them in the wild the common ones can be taken from the wild and inported but it has to go through costoms and be cleared for export and in port

L-ko

Global Moderators
Staff member
Oct 15, 2010
Weimar, Germany
www.welsfans.de
Hi,

International (Hypancistrus zebra and the positive list of Brazil):

Only Hypancistrus zebra is mentioned in CITES.
Since September 2016 this was in Annex 3. (Export [for H. zebra: from Brazil] subject to approval )
(Poachers/smugglers bring the animals to Peru via the Amazon. There are hardly any controls on the river path. Once the animals are in Peru, CITES Annex 3 is ineffective.)

This was upgraded to Annex 2 in November 2022. (additional documentation of keeping, birth, death, delivery/sale.

Brazil (Positivlisten in Brasilien):

There have been positive lists since December 1989 (1st-5th). They spend only a little attention to these lists.
In January 2012 the 6th positiv list was published. This was implemented more strictly.
The Redbook (Livro Vermelho – da Fauna Brasileira Ameaçada de Extinção) was published in Brazil in June 2020. Since then, this has been considered a negative list.

Others:

Further restrictions may/have been imposed by other states. What else applies in Australia?

Greetings
Elko

Last edited:

Caveman 70

Oct 16, 2018
Brisbane,Australia
Us poor Aussies live in a world of red tape and legislating against everything, im sure they would legislate aginst stupidity if it was possible but then a few of the people i know that are employed bey government departments would be unemployed ,so they wont do that
We have a list of allowable species , if the fish aint on it then too bad, theres so much biosecurity red tape ,fish must meet certain criteria and if released by means accidentally or on purpose either can not survive or cwn not create a feral population that will decimate native fish populations.
We have had some stupid animals introduced like cane toads to eat sugar cane beetles, which didnt work cos beetles can fly, european carp and talapia which have no real predators here and their numbers have exploded to the point where they are in plague proportions
Then we have,rabbits and wild pigs which probably cost the economy a billion dollars a year in either damage or in crop losses

The list has been amended a few times with some fish added and some removed,

A lot that we have here not on the list were here before the list was enacted i dare say theres been some bought in by less than legal routes ,

others like asian arowana (schleropagus formosus sp.)have been on the cites list since mid 1970s and should not be here legally, yet they are advertised as with paperwork and microchipped ,and if youre caught with one it will be confiscated,destroyed and you will get a day off work to stand in front of a judge and have some money removed from your person, or face jail time
yet african arowana(osteoglossum sp.)are not illegal to own yet not on the list, its a bit of a grey area if the fish are already here they basically get a grandfather clause ,meaning they can stay ,be kept legally just none can be imported, this does NOT apply to any fish here declared noxious by either the federal government or the individual states, if youre caught with them the government will do their best to relieve you of your spare cash and your fish

When i get home tonight i will attatch a link with the allowable imports attatched
I can only find records of the list being from 2001 but im sure it was first implimented early 1990s, so anything here before that gets a free pass

Caveman 70

Oct 16, 2018
Brisbane,Australia
no worries
will still post the list tonight...forgot yesterday

@johnbetta397 please refrain from giving advice on matters if you only have half the information or outdated information, especially on matters such as imports, wastes a lot of peoples time when they get wrong vinfo and then try to inport just to be turned away at the finish line
im aure theres a 15 yr old post you can comment on like on other groups youre in,gotta get your post count up i guess

mods delete this post if you find it inapropriate.trollong up and posting on every post ever created seems to be his past time which is fine when you have all relevant and correct information.....but its not always the case
theres others here which can confirm my comment

L-ko

Global Moderators
Staff member
Oct 15, 2010
Weimar, Germany
www.welsfans.de
Hi,

yes, if someone doesn't really know anything, it's better just not to post anything. .
Nobody has interes on useless posts here.
There is also no bonus for the amount of posts. ;)

Greetings
Elko

johnbetta397

Feb 26, 2023
no worries
will still post the list tonight...forgot yesterday

@johnbetta397 please refrain from giving advice on matters if you only have half the information or outdated information, especially on matters such as imports, wastes a lot of peoples time when they get wrong vinfo and then try to inport just to be turned away at the finish line
im aure theres a 15 yr old post you can comment on like on other groups youre in,gotta get your post count up i guess

mods delete this post if you find it inapropriate.trollong up and posting on every post ever created seems to be his past time which is fine when you have all relevant and correct information.....but its not always the case
theres others here which can confirm my comment
i respect that mate and my info is from the year 20000 so it more than likely is out dated i am sorry for the miss leading info