Is L018 (gold nugget) an algae eater?

LyndaB

May 11, 2012
Connecticut
Got a gorgeous gold nugget pleco at my fave lfs yesterday. Pricey, but what the heck. I don't spend that much often and besides, I can claim him as a Mother's Day gift.

I assumed that all plecos eat algae. Dummy head. In doing some research last night, many sites indicate that this pleco does not. :dk:

So, what can you tell me? Yes, no, maybe? It's not an issue if he doesn't, as I don't purchase species just to do a job, but it would be a bonus if he does.

Thanks, everyone.

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
They eat algae in nature but its a bit different than the algae found in aquariums. They may eat some algae in aquariums but even in the tanks with the heaviest amount of algae its not enough to sustain them. You need to feed veggies and some meaty ites. Gold Nuggets are notoriously difficult to acclimate to aquariums. THey often simply don't eat and eventually starve. To ensure the best success with them you need to provide them with a warm tank, high flow rates & lots of aeration.

LyndaB

May 11, 2012
Connecticut
Thanks very much for your info.

The tank should be good for the temp, aeration and water flow needs. There is good established driftwood and plants and I'm prepared to meet the dietary needs.

I had read the profile prior to posting my thread, but thanks for the link. I appreciate it and will refer to it often, I'm sure.

Size-wise, my understanding is that he won't reach above 8 inches in home aquaria, so he should do well. I hope anyway. :)