is this a common pleco??

beeney

Jun 20, 2011
lampeter wales
hello all, can any body help me i.d this pleco?

we got this from our local garden centre, and was labelled as a common pleco.

so we brought it any way as we think its been wrongly labelled,

i have to common plecs but the colours on this are completely different.

its gray and white in colour with yellow brown eyes. the gray strips head to tail,

any idea's would be helpful

Attachments

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
There are Common Bushynoses that are sometimes called "Commons" & then there are "Commons". Common Bushynoses are typically a grayish/brown with lighter spots, common "Commons" are greyish/black with grey lines.

beeney

Jun 20, 2011
lampeter wales
hi, yeh sorry my camra does not like it when there in the middle of the tank i'll take another when he comes near the front of the tank regards

beeney

Jun 20, 2011
lampeter wales
the pleco does not have spots as such, more like stripes, but i have found 3 white spots on his/her head spaced out like a triangle ( not ill) they do seem to be markings, will try to get a beter pic for you to look at thanks

Attachments

Last edited:

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Still not really clear, but i'll say its a Common, same as what Derek linked to.
The pattern is quite variable so the spots on the head aren't especially useful for differentiating between plecs.

D-MAC

Jul 24, 2009
Lossiemouth
www.danditropicals.co.uk
hi, yeh sorry my camra does not like it when there in the middle of the tank i'll take another when he comes near the front of the tank regards
If he doesn't come out for you, you could always try netting the fish out for a quick pic...It shouldn't stress it out if you are careful...If you are not happy at doing this don't worry we will wait until he poses for you. you could also try an algae wafer or piece of courgette at the front of the tank.:thumbup:

beeney

Jun 20, 2011
lampeter wales
thanks all for your replies, much appreciated :)

we will see, will get petter pic when i can ( 7 mega pixel my a***)
as for nettin any of them in this tank is hard work lol
4ft by 1ft by 2.5ft deep! but the plecs love the space and fast current so nice to watch them all dotting around

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Looks like you may be exceeding the minimum focus distance of your camera. Are you zooming all the way in & then trying to get close? You may need to zoom all the way out before moving in close to get a picture. Seems counter-intuitive but thats just they way the optics work.

beeney

Jun 20, 2011
lampeter wales
the focus makes it a lot worse and have had 1 or to good pics in the tank before now, seems to be dependant on the light at the time, also its meant to alto focus, time to get the instructions out lol, clean the lens ext

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
the focus makes it a lot worse and have had 1 or to good pics in the tank before now, seems to be dependant on the light at the time, also its meant to alto focus, time to get the instructions out lol, clean the lens ext
Light is very important, but if you exceed the close focusing ability of the lens, you'll never get a clear picture, might not really have much to do with the focus or could be the reason the focus is having an even more diffcult time. What brand/model of camera is it?

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
in some cameras, you cantake a normal shot, then when looking at the picture you can edit the picture and zoom in. maybe that helps. check your instructions. cheers jk :thumbup:

beeney

Jun 20, 2011
lampeter wales
my unknown pleco

tthanks to all your reply's, it has turned out as a common pleco, now it has grown can make out what it will be, just a diffrent coulor to what we have known.

and it was the camra that was the problem, testing my other 1 and pics alot clearer so will up load a pic soon

also does any one know of any good places to buy young pleos at all as would like to raise one from hacthling, put can only find them from 5cm upwards
:D