Is this definitely a Female L333

Khaifish

Feb 19, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Thanks for the input guys. Yes i am pretty sure its a L333, either that or its a L066 but i got it as l333 so that's what i'm gonna put it under as. I can see why you guys think its not one, i think it goes that gold colour when it gets stressed or when it gets placed on a really light container as in the tank its a black colour with yellow stripes. cheers

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
its just that the ones I used to have did not go brown whne stressed, they went mor of a grey colour, but maybe its the bucket or something. can you get any pics in the tank?

henk68

Dec 5, 2009
Brisbane
l#

I think L270 female very stressed (maybe) , just going by the cheek bones and brow. A lot L270 have been sold as L333

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
Thanks for the input guys. Yes i am pretty sure its a L333, either that or its a L066 but i got it as l333 so that's what i'm gonna put it under as. I can see why you guys think its not one, i think it goes that gold colour when it gets stressed or when it gets placed on a really light container as in the tank its a black colour with yellow stripes. cheers
to differentiate between 333 and 066 is easy... look at the tail from a side view.... if the tail is forked (like a tailor) its 066
if the tail is ( shaped (like a mulloway) its 333

for any non-aussies tailor and mulloway are commonly caught fish along the coasts of australia...

as for sex..... yes please...:lol::lol::lol: ...... female is my opinion....

Khaifish

Feb 19, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Hey guys i'm actually not sure now if its a female as it is literally always seen in its cave and i caught a glimpse of the fish when it was feeding and it looks like tiny odontodes might be starting to grow on the fishs front pectoral fins.

Also yes i am 99% sure it is a L333. I know it looks different to most l333 going around but i think thats because mine is perhaps a different bloodline than the ones that are being bred around aus. In the tank it has the traditional l333 pattern but is just a litle yellow, when i put it in a container like that the pattern fades and it looks mottled like in the pic. But anyways i am still pretty sure it is a l333. For some reason it just goes that colour when stressed, i don't know why lol. I definitely know it is not a l270 or l066, but i certainly wish it was :lol:

foti

Apr 20, 2010
Sydney AUS 2206
Hey guys i'm actually not sure now if its a female as it is literally always seen in its cave and i caught a glimpse of the fish when it was feeding and it looks like tiny odontodes might be starting to grow on the fishs front pectoral fins.

Also yes i am 99% sure it is a L333. I know it looks different to most l333 going around but i think thats because mine is perhaps a different bloodline than the ones that are being bred around aus. In the tank it has the traditional l333 pattern but is just a litle yellow, when i put it in a container like that the pattern fades and it looks mottled like in the pic. But anyways i am still pretty sure it is a l333. For some reason it just goes that colour when stressed, i don't know why lol. I definitely know it is not a l270 or l066, but i certainly wish it was :lol:
As for sex i would not say its a female more pics can help

also regarding bloodline and type i would also say you sould ID fish before breeding or selling!

most of the replies you have received have been from UK based members.

i do hope that the fish you have is what you want it to be a L333 but there is no harm in confirming and if its a 270 or 66 im sure it is worth your will to sell and buy another confirmed 333

Rabbit

Retired Staff
Apr 21, 2009
Auckland, NZ
Its not either 66, or 270 i have no doubt, being from aus i have seen plenty of the bloodlines some with yellow hue but none to this extent.
As for sex caving means nothing! all loricariidae have odontodes male and female, the difference is quantity, thickness, length etc

As for the UK members not being able to identify these properly due to the "aus bloodline" considering they get more wild caught and more imports than most countries the fact it wouldn't resemble an L333 is nothing to be considered desirable!.
I do think this fish is in fact an L333 everyone has mealy stated that this is not of the usual shock coloration.

Khaifish

Feb 19, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Hope this clears up the confusion about whether the fishes in question are L333, think these pics show it more clearer.

Fish 1, supposedly the female, its the same fish in the pic in my first post.

Fish 2, this one i haven't took any pics of so i'm not sure of its sex. It basically looks the same as fish 1 except its head and pattern is different, it could be a L066????

Both together

So what do you guys reckon are they the same species and what sex do you think they are??? :-/ Size of both fish is about 8 - 9cm TL, they are still very young 2 years max. I bought them from the same source yet now i think they are not the same species.... :wb:

Khaifish

Feb 19, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Looks like a pair of L333 to me but the female needs to get quite a bit more gravid yet. :)
Thanks Bren, i think i need to do that with quite a number of fish hahaha

I agree with Brengun.
Thanks

Yeap the brown and yellow variety of 333

Nice fish and pretty easy to spawn

Cheers

thegeeman
Thanks, i'm guessing by that you also mean they are the same species? Wouldn't want to be cross breeding two closely related hypans.

I hope they do spawn soon, its been a looong time waiting.....