I'VE GOT WRIGGLERS

timkel

May 30, 2009
Northants
Hadn't seen Sidney(my biggest male bn)for a few days,then we went away for the weekend.Spotted him hiding in the front end of my ship today,so i lifted it to see if he was stuck lol,and he,s guarding some wrigglers,looks like about 10-15 and they look to still have the egg sacks.The question is are they likely to survive in a community with pictus,barbs,platies,rainbows and fighters?I have already seen him chase a pictus and a fighter out lol.:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
congrats, no idea if will survive or not.
if they dont - then next time (you will get some every few weeks) put the wrigglers in a fry saver or net cage with airstone,

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
Congrates matey:clap::woohoo::woohoo:

IMO they dont have the best chance of survival left with a pictus. If you really want to save some and they have hatched then I would grab some and put them in a trap and watch them develop.

Cheers

thegeeman

timkel

May 30, 2009
Northants
Well i waited till they had eaten there eggsacs,and have moved them into my hospital tank.Ithink i have 15 in there,three escaped into the big tank,if they have survived i'm sure i will see them in a few months lol.My local lfs will take them off of my hands once theyre big enough.I am almost certain daddy is in there fanning more eggs lol.

timkel

May 30, 2009
Northants
update

Well from that 1st spawn we saved 15,kept 1 rehomed 4 and 10 went to the lfs,i know that at least 3 escaped into the tank.The 2nd spawn we was too late to catch and only managed to save 6,1 died and 5 went to the lfs on sunday.I put a new piece of bogwood into the tank last weekend and now it appears he has found a new cave lol,i did initially think that he was stuck in this crevass in the wood.Upon checking i found he isnt stuck and theres eggs in there.Now my main concern is that theres not enough room in there to fan the eggs properly and i also want to save as many as possible this time.Now would it be a good idea to move him and the wood into my fry raising tank?Or just leave him be and keep a close eye on him?

timkel

May 30, 2009
Northants
Also forgot to mention i have 2 females in there and 1 is very aggresive to the other.Now the smaller of the 2 has a sunken belly.What i am wondering is,is this a sign that she could be the mother?As she looked like this a while back and fattened up again.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
how big is the fry tank? it sounds a good idea to move him and wood into it if you can. do it without taking him out of the water by putting a bowl/pan in and moving wood into that.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
I would try moving him if you can, if teh log will fit, it will be big enough if you do small water changes every day.
worried about the females, perhaps they have fought? keep a close eye and check the sunken one is eating.

timkel

May 30, 2009
Northants
Will do.She has had cucumber and mussel the last couple of nights,she has started to fill out again.I was wondering if adding a 3rd female might help spread the aggression a bit.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
hi, I suspect a third will only add to the tension.
best may be to add more wood/plant/cave/etc so they meet and see each other less.

timkel

May 30, 2009
Northants
I have another piece of wood currently soaking and due to go in at the next wc.They are fine most of the time,its just when food goes in.I can put 2 pieces of cucumber in,at either ends of the tank and they will both be on one,but the aggressive one will see the other and chase her off of it,even though she has the other piece lol.